Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hyrail in the Deschutes Canyon and a Wishram Moment

Date: 10/23/14 22:25
Hyrail in the Deschutes Canyon and a Wishram Moment
Author: CimaScrambler

Not much sun today, no rain either. But that made the hill above milepost 43.7 on the Oregon Trunk a nice place to just let the time go by, as in several hours. Spent a half hour talking to a fisherman that had been wading in the river without catching anything. Eventually this Hyrail showed up, followed by a southbound rock train. Unfortunately I missed the two morning southbounds by about 20 minutes and an hour or so. I've had worse days chasing trains.

After nightfall, a crew van driver reads the paper while waiting for the next call at Wishram, Washington. +/-3 stop in camera HDR made the tonal scale work out with this one.

Be safe out there -

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/14 22:42 by CimaScrambler.

Date: 10/23/14 23:09
Re: Hyrail in the Deschutes Canyon and a Wishram Moment
Author: GP25

That first picture is breathe taking

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 10/24/14 00:03
Author: ActionMike

Things got out of whack North of Madras on Oct 22nd when a undercutter "got hold of wires under the track".
Along with a work train. Trains were parked north and south bound until at least 6 pm (10/22) which probably didn't help today (10/23)

I suspect there is a big daylight work window in the Deschutes Canyon which would force the southbound PASBAR and VAWBAR to run earlier than usual.

Date: 10/24/14 04:06
Author: 3rdswitch

Great pair.
JB

Date: 10/24/14 07:14
Author: DynamicBrake

Nice shots Kit, thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/24/14 07:25
Author: Torisgod

Incredible shots. The second one has quite a surreal quality to it.
Ironic that you talked to a fisherman who hadn't caught anything for half an hour: that's the exact same predicament you are in! (My father, who is very skeptical of my passion for trains, once said "Railfanning is just like fishing: it's boring and obsessive!") While I agree with the fishing metaphor, I agree with it in a different way.

Tor in Eugene

Date: 10/24/14 10:07
Author: BAB

Don't know what's up there but down south they have everything tied up around Klamath Falls for tie and rail work all day so nothing moves after Amtrak and its after dark before the crew bus gets back to Chiloquin which is where they are staging out of.

Date: 10/24/14 12:06
Author: CPRR

You know, after 4449 gets put back together, do you not think it needs a break in run with some freight from Portland to Bend?

Date: 10/25/14 06:02
Author: BAB

Tie work has progressed to the lake north bound and should continue starting Monday again. Crossing replacement is ongoing also north of Kfalls. Staging is out of Chiloquin where all of the track cars are in a siding.

Date: 10/27/14 16:00
Author: ns1000

GP25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That first picture is breathe taking

AGREED...!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds