Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some N. CO GWR, BNSF & UP last week

Date: 10/24/14 14:35
Some N. CO GWR, BNSF & UP last week
Author: highgreengraphics

Photo 1 - On 10-18, the old Hudson Bay Railway/Central Kansas railway GP-20 is on a side track usually reserved for questionable locomotives at the Loveland, CO diesel shop next to the old Great Western Sugar plant. This unit has been the oddball here for some time, perhaps on the way out?

Photos 2 and 3 - Nearby also at the Loveland diesel shop were two GMTX's of different flavors.

There's mooore...

Date: 10/24/14 14:43
Re: Some N. CO GWR, BNSF & UP last week

Photo 4 - On 10/23, an Ace-heavy coal empty detour is at the North Yard South Switch in Fort Collins, CO among autumn foliage.

Photo 5 - On the rear are two more units, and on the train only one is a GE.

Photo 6 - I received so much PM about the UP LaSalle-Fort Collins Local north of Fort Collins, CO and the tree tunnel that I thought I would try again. So to begin with, also on 10/23, the Local backs up from the Holcim Cement plant loadout to return to the main branch line at Boettcher, CO to return to Fort Collins.

There's mooore...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/14 14:44 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 10/24/14 14:52

Photo 7 - Fun things to run across are these two helicopters left to rot with their engines removed, the track in the foreground is from the cement plant and the Local is moving south on the FRA-excepted track at 10 mph back toward Fort Collins, CO after throwing the switch at Boettcher.

Photo 8 - Another view of the too-close tree making a tree tunnel at Fort Collins Wholesale Nursery just north of Fort Collins, it is trimmed only by the usually-twice-a-week Local passing through.

Photo 9 - When the track is straight south and it is midday, not much besides nose shots can be done, here is the UP Local crossing the Cache La Poudre trestle in Fort Collins, CO amid autumn fauna.

One mooore...

Date: 10/24/14 14:59

Photo 10 - After stopping behind a railroad stoplight connected to the intersection traffic signals, the UP Local whistles across State Highway 287, North College Ave in Fort Collins, CO, headed for a lunch break before they depart to return to LaSalle. There is some speculation that the Holcim cement loadout operation will be moving to a location close to Denver, and they are the only active customer on this Boettcher Branch north of Fort Collins, so the line may come to an end unless something like an oil loadout comes to the rescue.

Happy local railfanning! === === = === JLH

Date: 10/24/14 16:05
Author: rrartist

I like the multi-colored glad hands on the first few images! Great shots Jim!

Date: 10/24/14 17:45
Author: DavidMKetchum

Have spent a goodly amount of time at that intersection in Fort Collins, waiting on both BNSF AND UP!

Date: 10/24/14 21:49
Author: NH2006

Possibly last days of the run to the cement plant....

Date: 10/24/14 22:53
Author: amtrak34east

#8 is gold Jim, great catch!

Drew Mitchem
Centralia, WA

Date: 10/25/14 10:19
Author: SP8595

Great scenes Jim! Get that local running to the Cement plant as much as you can, it isn't going to be around forever:{

Date: 10/27/14 16:05
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 6!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0566 seconds