Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Patience & Independence

Date: 10/29/14 10:26
Patience & Independence
Author: santafe199

This past February ‘mg8711’ and I bagged Amtrak’s heritage unit 145 at Camden in northwestern Missouri. And we made a day of it shooting whatever else got in front of our cameras. Later in the afternoon we were homeward bound, passing through Independence, MO. Snooping around we found a coal empty sitting patiently at the Kentucky Ave crossing. So we got out and did a routine photo-study. Just as soon as we got our shots this train “put ‘er in gear” and resumed course on into downtown Kansas City. Were these guys sitting there, PATIENTLY waiting until we could show up and take some photos?!!?

Nahhhh……

1. UP 5771 is holding a pose on the point of a coal empty at the Kentucky Ave crossing.

2. & 3. The 5771 is now in forward motion. Up ahead [if I have the correct routing in mind] is the Sheffield flyover, KC Union Station, SFe Jct Interlocking & UP’s sprawling yard in Kansas City, KS.
(3 photos taken February 2, 2014 in Independence, MO)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/14 10:30 by santafe199.

Date: 10/29/14 10:41
Re: Patience & Independence
Author: CP_M260

Nice set of photos, Lance! Rock creek is usually a stand in for trains waiting to enter Neff Yard.

As far as the routing of this train, *most* empty UP coal trains avoid the KCT and Union Station, and instead, run via UP's KC Metro Subdivision - Neff Yard - Lydia - Troost - Broadway - Hickory Street and then 18th Street or Fairfax, depending on their routing afterwards.

-Dalton

Date: 10/29/14 11:06
Author: oklachaser

Great photos Lance. I'm not sure but I think that would have been a coal from the power plant at Oologah OK just by looking at the lettering on the cars "AEPX".

Ronda Thomas

Date: 10/29/14 11:29
Author: SilvertonRR100

oklachaser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos Lance. I'm not sure but I think that
> would have been a coal from the power plant at
> Oologah OK just by looking at the lettering on the
> cars "AEPX".
>
> Ronda Thomas

AEPX would be American Electric Power and they usually transload to barges at Metropolis, IL last I knew.

Rob

Date: 10/29/14 11:34
Author: UPTRAIN

oklachaser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos Lance. I'm not sure but I think that
> would have been a coal from the power plant at
> Oologah OK just by looking at the lettering on the
> cars "AEPX".
>
> Ronda Thomas

AEPX cars go several places. American Electric Power serves customers in Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia.

Pump

Date: 10/29/14 11:50
Author: santafe199

CP_M260 Wrote: > As far as the routing of this train...

The routing I had in mind was just a semi-wild guess. I've seen UP coal empties passing through SFe Jct on the way to Armourdale, usually over the elevated track from KCUS. Of course I've also seen them passing through the gooseneck...

Thanks for the info

Lance

Date: 10/29/14 21:52
Author: Ritzville

Took lots of video at Camden, Mo when there was a wig-wag on the BNSF. Thanks for bringing back good old memories.

Larry

Date: 11/03/14 10:24
Author: factorone33

Most of UP's PRB coal drags route back west through Fairfax up to the Falls City Subdivision that runs along the Missouri River on the Kansas side (up through Leavenworth and Atchison), before diverting to the Hiawatha Sub, and eventually the Marysville Sub.

The ones coming out of southern Colorado usually route back through Armourdale from Neff via the KCT, before hitting the Kansas Subdivision west of Armourdale and moving west along the Salina and Sharon Springs Subs.

Of course, this is based on experience along both lines, and things may have changed in the last couple of years, especially with how things are being routed through the KC area now compared to 10 years ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0632 seconds