Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some pumpkin pie in your face!

Date: 11/26/14 09:15
Some pumpkin pie in your face!
Author: santafe199

They say persistence pays off. Or call it stubbornness. Sometimes you find a location and you can imagine someday you’ll get that killer combination of super-elevation, perfect sunlight and a completely legal vantage point from which to shoot a train. So you keep going back. They (whoever ‘they’ are) also say: 2 outta 3 ain’t bad. Along with the train I got the vantage point and the super-elevation. But I didn’t exactly get that perfect sunshine.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. I’ll take fog like this anytime. Ooh… the things you can do with digital photography! With an ultimate destination of Wichita I had left Manhattan around 0400, originally intending to find a spot to shoot some sunrise stuff. I headed due south and ran into the fog right away. By the time I hit my BNSF transcon destination it was as thick as I’ve ever seen. I took my first exposures at Ellinor around 0730, which was first light, albeit very scant. Funny thing though: this fog never burned off. I took these shots at Peabody over 3 hours after the shots at Ellinor. I couldn’t tell the difference.

All morning long I captured as many trains as I could, and the BNSF was chock-full of traffic! But an impending lunch meeting with the NRHS boys in Wichita kept me moving along.

1. 2. & 3. BNSF 7091 east approaches Mustang Rd crossing at the west end of the siding out in the sticks west of Peabody, KS on November 22, 2014.

Date: 11/26/14 09:16
Re: Some pumpkin pie in your face!

4. Here’s a pumpkin in your face! Would you like some whipped cream with that?

What’s for dessert?
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 11/26/14 09:22
Author: Ritzville

Nice Fog pictures! Wish I could make my pictures look that good in the fog. We're also having the same pea-soup fog in Ritzville, WA this morning, can't see a thing, LOL.

Larry

Date: 11/26/14 12:11
Author: twjurgens

Where's the whipped cream?? Your fog shots have been great! Thanks for posting.

Date: 11/26/14 12:41

twjurgens Wrote: > Where's the whipped cream??

Thanks for the compliment, pal! I was eagerly anticipating image #4 [the vertical one here] as soon as I realized how thick the fog was at Ellinor. I thought of this exact shot immediately. I was pretty lucky that A) the fog was still there & still thick, and B) I got a train fairly soon upon arriving at that crossing W of Peabody. It pays to be lucky, sometimes.

Next time I invade Husker Nation (with Willie II!) I'll have to scare up a punkin' pie & some whipped cream in exchange for the usual lodging considerations... ;^)

Lance (EMAW!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/14 12:41 by santafe199.

Date: 11/26/14 16:55
Author: ns1000

Nice fog pics!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds