Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Gorge Ooops

Date: 12/18/14 22:26
Gorge Ooops
Author: SilvertonRR100

It is usually a very tough decision. Follow the UP on the South side or the BNSF on the North side. I came into The Dalles from the South jsut as a UP intermodal was passing through. Then met another mid-town, and a freight slipped past as I sat in the Wendy's faast (?) drive through for 20 minutes. I did catch, barely, a Westbound intermodal at Crates and at that point, made my fatal mistake. I didn't choose wisely! I headed for WAshington. Did catch a few trains and up at Cooks siding, afte Amtrak 28 got by, I saw an EB UP train across the river. I made another mistake and pulled over to scope it out. And what to my wondering eyes did appear, but the C&NW heritage leading three flags on yet another intermodal. Dang, did I ever choose poorly! And I was late to my dinner appointment with the Mrs too. I shoulda stood in bed!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Rob

Date: 12/18/14 22:30
Re: Gorge Ooops
Author: funnelfan

LOL, the curse of the Gorge strikes again! Usual practice is the trains are running on the side you are not on. But a good rule of thumb is everything comes to a screeching halt on the BNSF once Amtrak leaves Vancouver

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/18/14 22:44
Author: upbuddyboy

The rare ones know when there is a railfan in the area...so they either delay (to make you give up or change locations and miss it) or speed up and go by just before you arrive so you have to break the speed limit to try to (maybe) catch it. Another favorite trick is for the rare ones to go silent on the scanner so you aren't sure where they are. I could...and probably should...write a book about this.
Brian

Date: 12/19/14 00:57
Author: randalerickson

I have been a railfaning the Gorge since 1978.I can't count the times , I have been on the wrong side. WP, BN Alcos, UP Centennials, Passenger specials Heritage units. The list goes on and on.
But to me best place to railfan there is. I used to get really upset when I missed something. Now I just say oh well. Time for an ice cream at the East Wind Drive In.
Have fun out there no matter what side you are on.

Thanks
Randy Erickson
Tigard,Oregon

Date: 12/19/14 04:39
Author: 494

> Now I
> just say oh well. Time for an ice cream at the
> East Wind Drive In.

...or this time of year a cup of chowder at Brigham Fish Market.
The 1995 is leading a ZBRG1B for anyone along points East that may be interested, also the newly repainted 1983 came into Portland as the rear DPU on a KG2BR yesterday morning.

Date: 12/19/14 12:58
Author: boesrailfan

Can anyone give an ETA into Nampa, idaho? This has been an elusive one for me.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/19/14 14:18
Author: ns1000

upbuddyboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The rare ones know when there is a railfan in the
> area...so they either delay (to make you give up
> or change locations and miss it) or speed up and
> go by just before you arrive so you have to break
> the speed limit to try to (maybe) catch it.
> Another favorite trick is for the rare ones to go
> silent on the scanner so you aren't sure where
> they are. I could...and probably should...write a
> book about this.
> Brian

+1...........!!!!

Date: 12/19/14 15:50
Author: boxcab

upbuddyboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The rare ones know when there is a railfan in the
> area...so they either delay (to make you give up
> or change locations and miss it) or speed up and
> go by just before you arrive so you have to break
> the speed limit to try to (maybe) catch it.
> Another favorite trick is for the rare ones to go
> silent on the scanner so you aren't sure where
> they are.

This, a thousand times this. It also applies to the Scenic Sub and many other places.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds