Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Con Sweet/Con's Corner

Date: 12/20/14 14:10
Con Sweet/Con's Corner
Author: burlingtonjohn

The posts from upbuddyboy and WJEX in the thread below about Con's Corner got me to thinking. It has been just over two years since our buddy Con Sweet/xtra1188w left us and there is most likely a good number of fans out there that have never heard of him. I think an introduction is in order.

Hubert "Con" Sweet was a long time member of Trainorders. His love for Colorado railroads, especially the Rio Grande was unabashed, followed closely by his adopted home of Texas. An over the road truck driver, Con would even work in the occasional photo of a big rig in one of his posts. Any you know what? Nobody complained, such was the esteem we all held for Con. Con made everyone feel like his friend, a part of the family. I never heard him to post a cross word about anybody; he was a real gentleman.

In August of 2012, Con announced that he was in the hospital and the prognosis was not promising. He accepted his fate and said that with his laptop, he would post as long as he was able. I am pretty sure that for the first time ever in the history of Trainorders, an entire day of posts on the Nostalgia board was dedicated to one person, Con, in hopes that it would lift his spirits (and I don't think such a thing has happened since). Trainorders members from all over paid tribute to a man that probably 95% of us had never met.

Two or so days later, the news of Con's passing was posted here on Trainorders. Tributes from far and wide came in. In the days following his marking up on the celestial extra board, discussion was held that perhaps it would be a good idea to name Con's favorite spot in Tyler Texas, "Con's Corner" much like Sullivan's Curve, CP Walker, Stein's Hill, etc.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2839553
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/list.php?11,page=388#msg-2841834
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2846430,2847654#msg-2847654
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2847063,page=1

As I write these words, I can feel the tears starting as I remember with great joy probably one of the finest railfans to ever grace these pages. He is not gone because he is not forgotten.

Highball xtra1188w!
Burlington John

Date: 12/20/14 14:54
Re: Con Sweet/Con's Corner
Author: pbernath

Thanks for the really great tribute to a really great guy!

Paul Bernath
Crawford, NE

Date: 12/20/14 15:07
Author: nycman

Thanks for reminding us of such a great guy, John. I never met him personally, but always felt as though we knew each other from banter back and forth here on TO. Rest in peace, Con.

Date: 12/20/14 15:35
Author: tomstp

Well said John.

Date: 12/20/14 15:41
Author: Coalca

R.I.P. Con.

Date: 12/20/14 17:35
Author: sptno

I remember meeting Con when we were rebuilding SP786 for the first time.

What an interesting person. I only wish that I had joined TO a lot earlier and gotten to know Con better.

I would have loved to discuss his dealings with trains over lunch.

Highball Con.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 12/20/14 20:43
Author: RyanWilkerson

I remember him well and the TO tribute to him was very memorable. Con and I messaged back and forth because he posted some photos taken a few miles from where I grew up in Texas. As it turned out, his sister lives a few miles away from my current home in Northern California. Small world.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 12/22/14 08:50
Author: ntharalson

Thanks for posting this. Sometimes we all need to be
reminded of what we have lost. And pictures from "Con'S
Corner" are always welcome.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds