Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Gondola unit train

Date: 12/21/14 09:40
Gondola unit train
Author: ACL545

Just saw a unit train of gondolas on the Rochelle webcam. Eastbound on the UP. Anyone have info on this unique train? They appeared empty.

Date: 12/21/14 09:47
Re: Gondola unit train
Author: unclebob

We had an empty and a loaded unit gondola train through Hutchinson, KS last Monday on UP on the ex-RI Golden State Route. I've seen them out along the highway running at speed and leaving a dust trail. I believe they are hauling sand in the gondolas.

Mike

Date: 12/21/14 17:03
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Correct, they have a contract to haul sand west although I am not sure of the destination. East empties and normally 72 cars.

Date: 12/21/14 20:32
Author: P

That's a hell of a way to transport sand. How do they get the sand out? With a vacuum?

Date: 12/22/14 10:59
Author: NYC6001

An ore train goes from MN to Reynolds, IN that is all gons with rotary couplers for dumping. First time I have ever seen that.

Date: 12/22/14 13:43
Author: mapboy

NYC6001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An ore train goes from MN to Reynolds, IN that is
> all gons with rotary couplers for dumping. First
> time I have ever seen that.

So are we talking normal-side gondolas, unlike the high-side ones for coal loading?

mapboy

Date: 12/23/14 04:22
Author: mexrail

Is this the sand train that originates at Winona, MN? Sand is trucked to a loading area in the UP yard.

Mexrail

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0342 seconds