Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Visiting an old haunt

Date: 12/21/14 13:49
Visiting an old haunt
Author: santafe199

I stopped in at my old Santa Fe stomping grounds in Wichita, KS this past Friday. Not knowing how friendly *or not* the place is now-a-days, I gabbed a quick shot on the way inside. There were 3 or 4 guys hanging around in various stages of break time relaxation. One guy was hunkered down over a keyboard and a list of cars on a computer screen, not looking very happy. I cautiously inquired if there was a seniority roster I could look at. I explained that I had worked there in the 70s & 80s and wanted to see if there was anyone left that I knew. Just then an older guy walked in. I didn’t recognize the face, but I did recognize the name (withheld here). He turned out to be a guy who hired on a year after I did in 1978. We struck up a very amiable conversation. One of the younger guys (mid-20s?) seemed genuinely amused at my presence and pleasantly joined the conversation. Amongst other topics we all talked about some of the old Middle Division guys I had successfully found around my old territory since returning home in 2010. And I described a few of my RR adventures up in the Big Sky.

I didn’t want to wear out my welcome so I after only a few minutes made motion to leave. We all shook hands and I nodded to everyone to “be safe out there”. On the way out I grabbed another shot of that power parked behind the yard office. It occurred to that everything had changed: There was no longer a Yardmaster at Wichita, and the place didn’t even have regular round-the-clock switch jobs anymore. It also occurred to me that nothing had changed: The crews still grumble about their jobs, but were very cordial to a fellow rail. Even if HAD been 27 years since that rail (me) had worked there.

And there was STILL some AT&SF blue & yellow hanging around…

1. BNSF 2847 still in Santa Fe blue & yellow behind the yard office in Wichita, KS on December 19, 2014.

2. Wide angle ¾ wedgie of same…

Thanks for the chat!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 12/21/14 13:53
Re: Visiting an old haunt
Author: 3rdswitch

Paint still in great shape as well.
JB

Date: 12/21/14 14:45
Author: Ritzville

Enjoyed your story in Wichita and the Blue and yellow pictures.

Larry

Date: 12/21/14 18:01
Author: Rathole

I do the same thing in Memphis once or twice a year. Most of the ones I worked with are now retired, but a few are still on the job and we always have a good time reminiscing.

Date: 12/23/14 21:49
Author: factorone33

Great photos! I think I've shot the 2847 unit in Garden City before, I'll have to check my archives.

It's interesting to read that Wichita doesn't even have a Yardmaster anymore. Who controls the movements in the area around the Broadway yard? Most of that area around there is CTC, so it makes me wonder how that's all handled.

Date: 12/24/14 09:56
Author: santafe199

factorone33 Wrote: > ... Who controls the movements in the area around the Broadway yard?

While talking to those 2 crewmen I learned that the yardmasters (or whatever they call themselves these days) up at Sand Creek (Newton) run what's left of North Wichita Yard switching...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds