Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 2 southbound BNSF trains on Fort Scott Sub. in Kansas

Date: 01/28/15 17:55
2 southbound BNSF trains on Fort Scott Sub. in Kansas
Author: JoCoLB

With Eastern Kansas weather in the low 70s this afternoon, I thought I'd do some train watching south of Kansas City. It's definitely unusual weather for January, although a major change will start tomorrow.

On my photo trek today, I was able to snag photos of a couple of southbound BNSF Railway trains on the Fort Scott Sub. in Miami County, Kansas. It only took about 30 minutes.

Photo One shows a loaded coal train slowly crossing Ten Mile Creek about 1 mile south of Hillsdale, Kan. The cars bore JHMX markings of the Alabama Power Company. The location is just north of a control point where a long siding begins.

Photo Two shows a mixed manifest at the south edge of Paola, KS., several minutes later. The highway bridge in the background dates back to 1936 when it was constructed to eliminate a grade crossing on the former Frisco Railroad line. The bridge was renovated in recent years, with an all-new deck and railings constructed. I don't remember a safety fence being on the bridge prior to the renovation.

This line serves trains operating between Kansas City and Springfield, Mo., plus another route between Fort Scott, Kan., and Tulsa, Okla.

Date: 01/29/15 05:56
Re: 2 southbound BNSF trains on Fort Scott Sub. in Kans
Author: oklachaser

Really nice photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 01/29/15 15:11
Re: 2 southbound BNSF trains on Fort Scott Sub. in Kans
Author: santafe199

A couple of years ago I stumbled onto that first location (S of Hillsdale). I remember thinking it would be very difficult shooting in summertime with all the trees being so close in. But probably a lot more wide open in the 1980s when code lines were still in use everywhere. I wish I'd followed up on all my threats to go chasing a few mainlines down the Eastern Kansas side of things back in those days. Coulda, shoulda, woulda... but never did (insert that familiar 'long sigh' here!)

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds