Home Open Account Help 405 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Reality in the Gorge

Date: 01/28/15 22:40
Reality in the Gorge
Author: railstiesballast

The Columbia River Gorge, that is.
Here are three "grab" shots today while out with the Mrs. for a ride to Hood River and back.
First is an eastbound UP stack train easing past the moss-covered concrete guard rail of the old "scenic" highway that goes past Multnomah Falls. The engineer of the 8922 widened out on the throttle just as he past here, an audio treat to hear three EMDs wind up.A bit of evidence as to the amount of rainfall and sunshine here in the shadows of the basalt cliffs on the south bank.
Second is the BNSF 4707 west at North Bonneville with the empty trash containers from Roosevelt back to near Seattle. This shows the reality of Bonneville Dam: very serious power lines leading away in all directions.
Third is a windshield shot of the 4701 passing over WA 14 at the west end of North Bonneville. I like this underpass design. It is a long span concrete semi-arch with lots of landscaping. I imagine only a small number of motorists are aware it is a railroad unless a train happens by. That is Mt. Hamilton in the background.
My thanks to my wife, Laurie, whose driving enabled me to take the two BNSF images.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/15 22:42 by railstiesballast.

Date: 01/29/15 06:43
Re: Reality in the Gorge
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Cool stuff. Yes, it does rain a bit in Oregon/Washington.....B

Date: 01/29/15 07:12
Author: Torisgod

doge_of_pocopson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool stuff. Yes, it does rain a bit in
> Oregon/Washington.....B

Not lately!

Tor in Eugene

Date: 01/29/15 13:04
Author: stampedej

That first shot of the U.P. intermodal is great! I always love driving along the old highway too; can't beat the scenery.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/29/15 15:11
Author: Out_Of_Service

I LOVE THE GORGE ... been there once ... 40 some years too late ...

Posted from Android

Date: 01/29/15 16:43
Author: Seventyfive

Thanks for the excellent photos. The first is a really great catch, knowing how difficult it is to photograph along that highway and not get run over by tourists. The mossy guardrail is perfect for that scene!

Rich

Date: 01/30/15 07:35
Author: BAB

doge_of_pocopson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool stuff. Yes, it does rain a bit in
> Oregon/Washington.....B

Where? West side? Kind of dry around Crater Lake.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0594 seconds