Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP From Picacho Peak, Red Rock Site

Date: 01/30/15 16:44
UP From Picacho Peak, Red Rock Site
Author: mococomike

I hiked to the top of Picacho Peak in Arizona. This is near the site where UP wants to build a new yard. Its a great place to spend the day. The trail is not for those afraid of heights but is fun to do.
1. WB with I-10 and trailer park.
2. UP inspection train a few weeks ago

Date: 01/30/15 16:51
Re: UP From Picacho Peak, Red Rock Site

1. Looking west towards Picacho Jct.
2 general area

Date: 01/30/15 16:58

I beleive the area where the fields are will be the site of the new yard. The fields arelooking east towards Tucson.

Date: 01/30/15 17:09
Author: tacobell

It would be nice if we can drive to the very top. Great shots!

Date: 01/30/15 18:26
Author: callum_out

I find it distressing that there are no ostrich pictures, other than that, cool view!

Out

Date: 01/30/15 18:41
Author: Nomad

I think there's a business opportunity here, combining the two previous posts: Ostrich rides to the top!

Picacho's a great hike, looking down at the Sunset route and occasionally looking down at small airplanes flying by. I for one couldn't be happier that we might be able to look over a rail yard from the top of it someday. What the NIMBY's have against that is beyond me...

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it distressing that there are no ostrich
> pictures, other than that, cool view!
>
> Out

Date: 01/30/15 19:47
Author: Railfan4Christ

Wow, looks like something Cajon92 would do! I take it the park is open again; nice shots.

Tom

Date: 01/30/15 20:54
Author: weather

Beautiful Photography and thanks for going the extra mile! What is the difference in elevation between the top and bottom? How long was the hike?

Date: 01/31/15 05:50
Author: billio

The first (to my knowledge) pics from this vantage. Thanks for the effort. Nice post.

Date: 01/31/15 14:50
Author: Seventyfive

Made the hike 45 years ago but didn't have a camera. So many thanks for these fantastic pictures. Hadn't heard about the proposed UP yard there so keep us posted on that. As I recall, Picacho Peak is notable in that it is the only site in Arizona where a Civil War battle was fought.

Rich

Date: 01/31/15 15:57
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds