Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Carl Rogoza Sign

Date: 03/18/01 08:13
Carl Rogoza Sign
Author: gyralite

Many of you knew SP Conductor Carl Rogoza who always attended Winterail and other functions. A real expert on whistles/horns. Yesterday, family and friends joined at the place where Carl passed away a year ago on board a westbound train -- from a heart attack -- and erected an SP-Standard station sign surrounded by a cactus garden. Here's a photo.

Date: 03/18/01 08:17
Nice tribute
Author: Paul_H

I never had the good fortune of meeting Mr. Rogoza, but that nice little memorial to him sure brightens the spot a bit.

Date: 03/18/01 08:22
RE: Carl Rogoza Sign
Author: ZWSPLAC

A wonderful tribute to a wonderful man....
May he rest in peace; the same for Jay Bell....Both represented the SP at its' best....

Bob F.
ZWSPLAC

Date: 03/18/01 09:00
Author: dmaffei

Boy did Carl know SP Steam Whistes and Airhorns.
I talked with him at length on that subject at the SP Convention.
Hope the train crews give him a nice "Tug on the cord"
as they roll by.
Dave Maffei

Date: 03/18/01 09:39
Author: FiveChime

Carl was really "One of a Kind". Many of you may not know that during the 1970's, when he was assigned to West Colton as a trainman, Karl was able to place different and unique horns from his extensive collection on various in SP locomotives so that all could here them.
The 5300 class SD39's were based out of West Colton and seemed to get the most diverse selection of Rogoza horns including a number of Nathan M-5's, M-3's, P-5's, Leslie S5T's, S-3's, and one Hancock
4700 Air Whistle. I understand Karl's extensive collection has been donated to CSRM in Sacramento.

We should all visit this memorial from time to time to assure that it is not vandalized.

Date: 03/18/01 10:12
Author: DocJones

The memorial was just as Carl would have liked it. The mood was actually quite light-hearted and when a train would pass work would stop and a photo line quickly assembled. Of course there was a lot of whistling going on by the passing trains in the best of Carl Rogoza tradition. The memorial was erected with the blessings of both the Union Pacific Railroad and the U.S. Border Patrol. On hand were two supervising agents of the Border Patrol to receive plaques honoring the two agents on duty who tried valiantly along with Carl's engineer to save his life. The memorial was a year-long effort by a long list of friends and co-workers of Carl's. At the risk of missing someone I will not post the list of names. The meeting and the memorial sign were blessed by one of Carl's pastors from his church. All in all, a great tribute to a great friend, co-worker and railfan.
Have fun, be safe
and remember Carl and his family in your thoughts and prayers,
Doc Jones

Date: 03/18/01 10:27
Author: tmengineman

I ask reverently, where is this place located? Judging by the elevation, Death Valley somewhere? But the listing of RR's has me confused... Thanks!

Date: 03/18/01 10:31
Author: ZWSPLAC

To tengineman -

(Former SP) siding of Frink, west of Niland, east of Indio.

Bob F.
ZWSPLAC

Date: 03/18/01 10:48
Author: anaheim-al

A fitting tribute. Good Form !!

TM... looks like a day trip along the Sunset Route is now in the works, eh?? Start at San Timoteo and work our way east?? Or vice-versa?? (have those disks ready!!)

Date: 03/18/01 15:23

If any of you go out to view the ROGOZA station sign next to the U.S. Border Patrol station at Frink, try to take some water with you (both for drinking and to water the cactus!)
Thanks.

Date: 03/18/01 16:00

The first train by the newly-erected ROGOZA sign yesterday (3/17) was the ZLCNS-17. Coffee break time before we planted the cacti.
Photo below. (For the GPS guys out there, the sign is located at
N 33.21.625
W 115.38.653

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds