Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF tank train arriving at Pasco

Date: 02/26/15 16:16
BNSF tank train arriving at Pasco
Author: editman

On Oct 20 2012 I was in the Pasco, Washington area. Took a side trip to the BNSF freight yard. As I was driving along the road which parallels the tracks entering into the east yard I saw a train approaching behind me. Found a place to stop, went out into the fields between the road and tracks, and started recording. By then the engines had gone by, but did get the rest of the train.

After this train had entered the yard and stopped, I observed some more trains sitting there and I hoped maybe one would leave. 9 minutes later I was recording some activity in the yard when a BNSF vehicle pulls up and stops. The driver informs me that BNSF owns the property between the tracks and the road (about 100 ft.), and I am going to have to leave. He was very polite about it. So after less then 10 minutes I had to leave. When I left he followed me out until the road separated from the tracks. The short clip at the end was the activity what was happening when he arrived.

There is something different about this train that I had not noticed on other unit tank car trains. Is this normal?

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/26/15 16:48
Re: BNSF tank train arriving at Pasco
Author: NWRailfan

Pasco East, the east yard and two hump sets working. The boxcar buffer is rare, never have seen that before but I have seen a autorack used on a oil set once.

Date: 02/27/15 10:58
Author: leonz

I wonder if they noticed the lid was up on the
tank car with the flat covers??? I am assuming
that gasses in the crude popped it open while
it was underway.

Tis but one more reason for the caboose to be used
on hazardous cargo trains. Are you listening Mr. Buffet??

I would hope that they shut the lid on that tank car
or set it out to a RIP track to be repaired if the
lid clamps were broken.

EDIT: the tank car with the open lid comes into view at the 1:01 mark on the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/15 16:16 by leonz.

Date: 02/27/15 18:46
Author: Frontrunner

It just a lid someone forgot to close. I'm sure the valve is closed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2303 seconds