Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > KCS Trains In The Snow - Dallas, Texas - Friday, 02/27/

Date: 03/01/15 13:06
KCS Trains In The Snow - Dallas, Texas - Friday, 02/27/
Author: olddude41

I was able to catch both the KCS I-DAMT-27 (Dallas to Metro Junction) and the KCS I-MTDA-27 (Metro Junction to Dallas) UPS trains in the snow on Friday. The snow had just begun when the I-DAMT-27 passed about 09:10. You will notice that by the time the I-MTDA-27 went by at 16:22 hours, we had received about 2" of the white stuff at that time. I was very pleased by the nice greeting from the crew of the I-DAMT-27 in the morning.

These trains handle the UPS trailers and containers which travel between Dallas, Texas and Willow Springs, Illinois. The KCS takes the consist up to Metro Junction and hands it off to the BNSF for the remainder of the trip up to the Chicago area. The power then waits on the southbound BNSF train and then brings the Dallas cut of cars from Metro Junction to the KCS Dallas Yard. This operation is known as the "Pig Dance".

I am including two photos of the trains. The two GP-22Eco locomotives, the KCS 2810 and KCS 2824 are the usual power on these trains which operate daily except Sunday.

Pic. #1: The KCS I-DAMT-27.
Pic. #2: The KCS I-MTDA-27.

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/01/15 13:29
Re: KCS Trains In The Snow - Dallas, Texas - Friday, 02
Author: BNSF-6432

Really like #2! Those belle EMDs sure look nice

PQM

Date: 03/01/15 15:44
Author: fulham

Where is Metro Junction in the DFW area? Is it north of Ft. Worth on the old Santa Fe mainline or is it around Dallas? How many trains does the line see in a day?

Thanks.

Date: 03/01/15 16:14

fulham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where is Metro Junction in the DFW area? Is it
> north of Ft. Worth on the old Santa Fe mainline or
> is it around Dallas? How many trains does the
> line see in a day?
>
> Thanks.

Metro Junction is located near Krum, Texas, slightly north and west of Denton. The KCS meets the BNSF line (the old AT&SF mainline north of Fort Worth) at Metro Junction.

The photos and video were taken behind my house which is on the KCS White Rock Branch. The White Rock Branch currently is used by these two intermodal trains and by a local switcher, the Metro 1 Dodger, which switches businesses along the line.

The White Rock Branch is entirely in the Yard Limits of the KCS Dallas Yard. It joins the KCS Alliance Sub. up at White Rock Junction. The Alliance Sub. then continues up to Metro Junction. The Alliance Sub. sees several trains each day, the two in my photos and video, a transfer manifest freight train which interchanges cars between the KCS Wylie Yard in Wylie, TX and the BNSF Alliance Yard in Alliance, TX, a two-day-a-week frac sand train plus others.

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

Date: 03/02/15 03:12
Author: DFWJIM

Thanks for sharing this video. Judging by the going and return it seems like the KCS crew has about 4 to 5 hours of dead time at Metro Junction.

Date: 03/02/15 06:10

DFWJIM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing this video. Judging by the
> going and return it seems like the KCS crew has
> about 4 to 5 hours of dead time at Metro Junction.

Sometimes longer, depends on when the southbound connection arrives at Metro Junction. It is not too uncommon for crews to go "Dead On The Law" up there or at some point on their trip back to the KCS Dallas Yard.

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0711 seconds