Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Well I was NOT Expecting This

Date: 03/02/15 18:38
Well I was NOT Expecting This
Author: FrontRangeTrains

So me and my friend Kirk decided to take the advantage of all the snow we've been getting and head up to Moffat. It was a great day with a total of eight trains with most of them in sunlight. However, when I returned home, there was NOTHING on the card! I doubled checked on another computer and still the same. So unfortunately, I came home empty handed today, with the exception of video stills I was able to salvage. In case anyone was wondering, my DSLR got damaged (mostly the screen) during the car accident I was in last May, and pretty much since then, I've been shooting blind since then. It's just so weird that this happened today, of all days. Maybe this is a sign I need to finally upgrade to a new camera body. Who knows. Anyways...

1) Two UP SD70ACe's lead the Valmont coal load through Plainview.

2) Amtrak #5 climbs the 2% grade towards Tunnel #1 in Coal Creek Canyon.

3) A Grand Jct, Colo., six unit lite power move climbs the grade and approaches Tunnel #1.

Some more...

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/15 18:43 by FrontRangeTrains.

Date: 03/02/15 18:41
Re: Well I was NOT Expecting This

4) The Roper - North Yard manifest crawls through Plainview after having to hand operate the west switch. The train will get the clear signal and head down the hill.

5) After meeting its counterpart, BNSF's Provo trackage rights manifest accelcerates out of Crescent and will head into Tunnel #19.

6) Six UP GE's including a couple of repainted ex SP AC4400CW's and a patched CNW AC4400CW leads the empty Public Service coal train at Tolland.

Thanks for looking

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 03/02/15 19:15
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch anyway. Too bad about the loss though. At least twice now I know I have heard my camera make the familiar click one or two times just before the battery gives out and no image on the card? This is the ONLY thing about digital that occasionally ticks me off as opposed to film. IF the film is in right, IF the camera clicks, you DO have the shot. Oh well, such is the hobby.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/15 19:16 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 03/02/15 19:26
Author: TCnR

Whatever you did those are some great photos, great locations.

It really pays to do an equipment check every so often, since the cost of a day in the field has become substantial. I'm finding taking a photo and then going through the whole process of Photo shopping and posting a photo shows an ISO setting in the wrong place, maybe smudge on the lens, maybe a weak battery, all sorts of possibilities.
But if you find something is amiss you have to fix or replace it, otherwise you're just burning up gas or tires and getting less from it.
OK, end of lecture, sometimes it's just fun to get out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/15 22:09 by TCnR.

Date: 03/02/15 19:41
Author: livesteamer

Everyone of those pictures is an IOTD candidate

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 03/02/15 20:10
Author: Bob3985

John,
You are a very talented photographer and photo number 5 gets my vote for awesome.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/02/15 21:30
Author: kwo

I can't believe how there was just nothing, that makes no sense! So, I will add some photos I took from the day; some repeats, some we haven't seen.

Picture 1 is the CEYVL-01 at Plain. Went with the big gun to grab those Flatirons!
Picture 2 is Amtrak climbing up to Tunnel 1.
Picture 3 is the light power in the siding at Plain. I loved that fresh snow turning into freshly-plowed snow!
~wko

Date: 03/02/15 21:32

Picture 4 is the Provo-Denver coming out of Tunnel 19. Love that rock portal!
Picture 5 is the CPSEY-01 at Tolland, moments before the clouds took over.
Picture 6 is the DPUs of the same train at the same location. Had this train been 10 cars longer, the lead locomotive would've been directly above the cab!
~wko

Date: 03/02/15 21:34

Picture 7 is the MNYRO-02 departing through Rollinsville after changing crews.
Picture 8 is the NYRO at East Portal siding. Note Rollins Pass chillin' in the upper-left corner.
Picture 9 is DRGW 12821 (holy palindromes, Batman!), a rare Rio Grande coal hopper with the "Main Line Through the Rockies" logo.

That was it for our day, as the only thing between Denver and Tabernash was us. Thanks for looking!
~wko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/15 21:54 by kwo.

Date: 03/03/15 03:51
Author: oklachaser

Fantastic series of photos you guys took.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/03/15 04:12
Author: raydrs

Thank you for the spectacular photos.

Date: 03/03/15 04:18
Author: bobk

Great shots from both of you! Wow, 8 trains - that's a great day on the Moffat these days!

Date: 03/03/15 08:16
Author: BDPerry

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the ONLY thing about digital that occasionally ticks me off as opposed to film.
> IF the film is in right, IF the camera clicks, you DO have the shot.

Unless the film is lost in the mail, or the processor damages or misdirects your film...

Bruce Perry
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 03/03/15 08:25
Author: 3751_loony

...Or the film is developed incorrectly, as happened to me when I chased 4449 from Black Butte to Sacramento for Railfair 1991...

Great images, anyway!

Jim Montague
IRVINE, CA
Train and Nature photo Art

Date: 03/03/15 09:15

Thanks for the remarks and nice photos, Kirk! So I woke up this morning and realized that I took a photo from my cell phone. Just for the hell of it, I processed and here ya go.

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 03/03/15 10:07
Author: Ritzville

What an exceptional series of photos by both photographers!!

Larry

Date: 03/03/15 12:01
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!! Thanks for sharing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 12:04 by ns1000.

Date: 03/03/15 12:04
Author: TrainRidingGal

The last one was from a cell? Wow! I also like the first one. Some really nice color and composition! Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.075 seconds