Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Big Shoes on the Crestmore & Western

Date: 03/02/15 22:31
Big Shoes on the Crestmore & Western
Author: GRNDMND

So while OYW was out bagging the visitors from south of the border in San Timoteo Canyon, I decided to head over to Mira Loma and catch UP's LOB33 job on the return to Crestmore. The reason being that the job had SD59 9908 as one of the two locos, the other being GP40 1533. I had been told that the SD was to be traded out in the next day or so and being as six-axle loco's are now uncommon on the Crestmore Branch, I went for it in the clouds and rain. It also gave me a chance to say hi to long time friend Kenny, who is the conductor on the job. After leaving Mira Loma the first order of business was to spot a load of wood at Tijuana Pallets (yes that's the name) and image #1 shows the job pulling up to make the cut and shove back into the spur. After that it is around the west leg of the Pedley wye, image #2 and up the branch along side Jurupa Rd in image #3. Time constraints kept me from following the job any further, which I would have liked to have done. SD's, mostly 40-2's, had been used in the past on the branch, primarily when there were numerous loads of coal being hauled up to the cement plant at Crestmore, but the kilns at the mill have been cold for many years now so no more coal is needed. A pair of GP38/40's is the norm these days on the Crestmore & Western. Thanks for looking in today.

KC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/15 22:33 by GRNDMND.

Date: 03/02/15 22:36
Re: Big Shoes on the Crestmore & Western
Author: oyw

Rare consist indeed, and well photographed!

Bob

Date: 03/02/15 23:54
Author: RyanWilkerson

The plow looks big...SP heritage maybe? It looks good, I'll have to pay attention to the other SD59MXs around here.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 03/03/15 02:10
Author: Fizzboy7

RyanWilkerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The plow looks big...SP heritage maybe? It looks
> good, I'll have to pay attention to the other
> SD59MXs around here.

Hi Ryan. The plow is ex-UP SD60M heritage. Before UP went cheap, all their new road diesels were ordered with large plows (like SP's), from the beginning of the Dash-2 era to the early 90's. When these units go in for shopping or rebuilding, they usually come out with the mini plows. For whatever reason, this one kept it's original piece. Others still have some of the larger ones too. Good observation!

Date: 03/03/15 06:36
Author: Cajon92

Nice catch and nice shots, Kevin.

~Ryan

Date: 03/03/15 07:59
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos Kevin, on a line we don't see many pictures from.

Rich

Date: 03/03/15 08:39
Author: callum_out

Uncommon? I can remember when six axle units were not allowed on the branch, interesting
shots, great catch.

Out

Date: 03/03/15 13:12
Author: TheNavigator

Nice shots, Kevin. I visited the C&W and Kenny this morning and will post a few shots later today.

Gary

Date: 03/03/15 17:38
Author: SP8595

Interesting catch, I really like that 2nd shot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds