Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday: an 'Enterprising' good morning

Date: 03/03/15 03:31
Toto Tuesday: an 'Enterprising' good morning
Author: santafe199

Here are a few notes I kept during our inaugural Great Smoky Valley Shootout last October 4 in Abilene, KS.

As a former train service railroader I happen to know a thing or two about breakfast ‘out’. Over the years I’ve eaten in some really good dining establishments. And I’ve eaten in some totally forgettable disaster areas; aka slop houses! My breakfast at the Hitch ‘n Post restaurant in ‘Old Abilene Town’ was great! A generous plate of sausage & cheese (American) omelet with finely shredded hash brown ‘taters, garnished with wheat toast & grape jam was washed down with a large glass of ice-cold milk & some orange juice on the side. Over a long RR career this was a favorite breakfast dish along with bacon & 2 over easy or a hearty plate of biscuits & sausage gravy with a huge sausage patty on the side.

Once breakfast was history I ventured outside with my camera to record some early morning sunrise scenes on the Abilene & Smoky Valley grounds. A few other photographers & railfans were already on the scene! A busy day was in the offing: Our first “Great Smoky Valley Shootout” in official & complete association with the A&SV was on the line-up directly ahead. Last year’s loosely scheduled dress rehearsal had now matured into a set schedule of events, including a “Free-For-All” slide/digital image sharing event between 9AM and 3PM. We had an after-dinner feature image presentation by a noted guest from California, railfan photographer Mr Bob Finan. To cap the day off we staged a night photo session with the ex-Santa Fe pacific 3415 & ex-Hutchinson & Northern Alco S-4 switcher #4.

I was eagerly anticipating our little railfan enterprise (pun intended), so shooting the A&SV “Enterprise” in silhouette was a nice little good morning start GSVS #1! Here are some results:

1. An early bird good morning scene with the ex-Rock Island depot and…

2. & 3. A&SV coach “Enterprise” greeting the newly risen sun.
(3 photos taken October 4, 2014 in Abilene, KS)

We are working to turn the “Great Smoky Valley Shootout” into an annual national event so we will certainly have it again this year. We haven’t set any date yet but it will be in October again. As soon as we know anything we’ll get the word out…

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/15 03:33 by santafe199.

Date: 03/03/15 05:14
Re: Toto Tuesday: an 'Enterprising' good morning
Author: twjurgens

Nice shots! Looking forward to this year's version.

Date: 03/03/15 07:53
Author: kingman

Beautiful shots, shows the dawn of a new day, full of hope and promise and fun.

Date: 03/03/15 09:41
Author: switchlock

With any luck, we'll get the new Enterprise signage afixxed this year.

Date: 03/04/15 09:07
Author: TTownTrains

Kirk to Enterprise, 3 railfans to beam up. :-D

Date: 03/05/15 06:50
Author: switchlock

I lobbied to have the car numbered ASV 1701 but the powers that be didn't like that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds