Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP oil trains in CA?

Date: 03/03/15 08:46
UP oil trains in CA?
Author: JamesSchlinger

I'm curious if anyone has a list of what oil trains UP is actively running via Northern CA and what routes they take in to and out of the state? Train symbols would be great too if you've got 'em!

Disclaimer - I'm asking purely out of general curiosity and from the perspective of a railfan interested in getting shots of these unit trains that photograph well! I'd prefer keeping all politics, controversy, flame wars, etc. etc. out of this post, as rambling about what the RR should or shouldn't be doing with these trains on here ain't gonna change anything anyway.

Thanks!

Date: 03/03/15 08:56
Re: UP oil trains in CA?
Author: cchan006

James,

The one I caught in January with the SD9043MAC leader took UP's Valley Sub to Roseville (via Dunsmuir), then took the Fresno Sub to Bakersfield. I believe another one before that did the same. I remember seeing information that mid-train DPUs are added at Eugene and taken off at Klamath Falls, so they travel UP all the way from Portland, OR?

That means no "Metal Foaming" shots from the Feather River Canyon, if I'm reading your intent correctly. :-)

Date: 03/03/15 09:10
Author: JamesSchlinger

"Metal Foaming" in the FRC? OK Charles, you totally lost me there...!

Date: 03/03/15 09:24
Author: cchan006

JamesSchlinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Metal Foaming" in the FRC? OK Charles, you
> totally lost me there...!

Hehe. Kind of things you and "Metal"Mike do, like doing a hike or trek for an elevation or difficult angle shot.

Date: 03/03/15 10:00
Author: TCnR

It seems like recently the UPRR moved to 'Unit' Oil trains on the I-5 corridor, they still seem to run a lot of tank cars mixed in with general freight. I have seen a couple of solid trains in the past week or two.

BNSF has run a few solid trains on the Gateway Sub and then down the lower part of the FRC, haven't had any time to travel over there recently though.

Date: 03/03/15 15:18
Author: PCX

OSRKB is the symbol for the UP oil trains running from Colorado to Bakersfield; the symbol used to be OCRKB (Carr, CO) but the trains now originate at Speer, WY and head west from there. Those trains are only running about once-per-month at the present time and are usually 61 cars.

Date: 03/03/15 15:27
Author: KB6GZ

Are we forgetting the UP oil train that runs from Wunpost to Los Angeles about 4 times a week. Usually about 80 cars on the coast line.

Date: 03/03/15 15:31
Author: bradleymckay

modoc_line Wrote:
> OSRKB is the symbol for the UP oil trains running
> from Colorado to Bakersfield; the symbol used to
> be OCRKB (Carr, CO) but the trains now originate
> at Speer, WY and head west from there. Those
> trains are only running about once-per-month at
> the present time and are usually 61 cars.

Trains are run for Kern Oil and Refining in South Bakersfield.

Allen

Date: 03/03/15 15:46
Author: tronarail

Do the trains still run to the new unloading facility Southwest of Bakersfield? Haven't seen or heard of one lately.

Date: 03/03/15 16:14

tronarail Wrote:
> Do the trains still run to the new unloading
> facility Southwest of Bakersfield? Haven't seen or
> heard of one lately.

Yes. Most of the oil going to the Plains All American facility is via CP/UP from Alberta. The oil is put into the main California north/south pipeline and goes to refineries in the Wilmington, CA area.

Allen

Date: 03/03/15 17:37
Author: johnsweetser

bradleymckay wrote:

> Trains are run for Kern Oil and Refining in South Bakersfield.

No, Kern Oil and Refining is not in "South Bakersfield." It's not in any part of Bakersfield.

Date: 03/03/15 20:09

johnsweetser Wrote:
--------
>
> No, Kern Oil and Refining is not in "South
> Bakersfield." It's not in any part of
> Bakersfield.

OK, just southeast of the city limits of Bakersfield. Is that better?

Their address IS 7724 E Panama Ln. Bakersfield 93307.

Allen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds