Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Giddings Sub detours in the fog

Date: 03/03/15 12:48
Giddings Sub detours in the fog
Author: PALuvR

I had big plans for a little variety this morning. I saw a SB coming up Bergstrom Hill in South Austin on ATCS. There was a NB in the siding at Bergstrom (MP 186) and another holding the main at Kyle (MP 202 on the Austin Sub). I had planned to chase that SB'er to Kyle and catch another meet there. As usual, things didn't work out in that regard. In listening to the traffic report, I heard of several wrecks, one of which was on my way to Kyle. Seems like Austin drivers go faster on slick roads so they can get off the road sooner. So I ended up camping out at N. Bergstrom again today. But I think it worked out pretty well despite the cold, drizzly and foggy weather.

First up was another SB loaded sand train. I bet the crews just love coming up Bergstrom Hill on a heavy train with a 15mph speed limit as they cross the Colorado River (Lady Bird Lake)after making a 90 degree turn from the depot to head south. In the hole at Bergstrom was a BNSF-powered empty sand train.

1. Coming into N. Bergstrom southbound
2. Getting a roll-by
3. Sand train DPU

Date: 03/03/15 13:01
Re: Giddings Sub detours in the fog

Next up was another SB which is normally scheduled train, MFWSA. It had a pretty cool consist of 2 Dash-9's and 4 C44AC's, all ex-SP units. They were UP 9629, SPatch 6150, UP 9631, SPatch 6225, SPatch 6196 and UP 6207. It stopped on the main for a crew change then continued south to Kyle for a meet with Amtrak 22.

4. Coming into Bergstrom
5. Another roll-by in the fog
6. Empty sand train gets underway NB. Not sure if this a BNSF detour or a UP train with BNSF power

Date: 03/03/15 13:17

The BNSF train was quickly replaced by a NB autorack train which had been holding the main at S. Bergstrom. The MFWSA finally got a clear shot into Kyle for its Amtrak meet. Amtrak 22 finally came around the autoracks for its final 6 miles down to the Austin Depot.

I appreciate y'all taking a look. Maybe more detours other than sand trains are in store. We'll see. No real sun forecast until Sun/Mon. by which time the Giddings Sub should be reopened. Will just have to get what I can get.

Mike

7. Waiting for Amtrak to come around
8. And now it's finally here
9. Nice to see that NS unit

Date: 03/03/15 14:40
Author: judahrice

Wow! Nice catch on that ex-CR dash-8! I saw it in blue in San Antonio, on National Train Day in 2010, two weeks before it was repainted in NS colors. That unit is special to me, as it was the last CR unit that i saw in action in blue. It was the only one in action that I recorded. Once I saw an LMSX dash-8 (8461) leading a Lockhart Sub auto train at a crossing in San Marcos, but I sadly didn't have a camera. Looks like you had a good day today!

Date: 03/03/15 15:06

Here's one for you, Judah.

Mike

Date: 03/03/15 17:45
Author: wesleygreer

Sick consist in #4, man that's a sweet train.

Date: 03/03/15 17:56
Author: SP8595

UP 7814: MBUSAS-27 (Manifest-Bulter, WI-San Antonio-Sand)

UP 9629: MFWSA-02 And yes, a Great consist!

BNSF 5108: BNSF trackage rights train, UP symbol US1HAJ-24. BNSF symbol U SOXHAG0 07. Running on the UP from S. San Antonio to Temple.

UP 8019: ALDASB-01

Date: 03/04/15 04:17
Author: oklachaser

Nice photos.

Ronda Thomas

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds