Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Karma is Real!

Date: 03/31/15 17:20
Karma is Real!
Author: funnelfan

Just heard the UP unit being used as a cab signal leader just died coming down Cold Springs Hill with the CP Rail Shippers special. I'm sure Richard Olsen will share his pics on here. Guess the mental wrath of the railfans following the train wishing the UP leader would disappear manifested itself!!!  ;^D

Photo from Sunday when the UP unit was added to the train. This is one reason that you put shiny new power on these specials. UP probably isn't looking so good to the shippers right now.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/31/15 17:31
Re: Karma is Real!
Author: Ritzville

Sure hate to see the F unit covered up.

Larry

Date: 03/31/15 17:35
Author: CPR_4000

That wouldn't necessarily stop the movement dead, would it? I'd think the F's could still be controlled from the lead unit unless something went wrong with the control circuitry.

Date: 03/31/15 18:10
Author: ns1000

NIIIIIICE....!!

Date: 03/31/15 19:52
Author: alamedafrank

You are not supposed to run with the lead unit non powered/isolated.

Date: 03/31/15 22:08
Author: ryan199

Through Cheney at 10:06pm.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/31/15 22:18
Author: krm152

Would have shown some class if UP had put an E Unit up front.
ALLEN

Date: 04/01/15 00:07
Author: ActionMike

The more interesting question is why does a non standard train like this need to have a UP unit with cab signals in the lead?

And if this paltry little train needs to have a Diesel with cab signals lead it,
then what will UP do with 844, 3985 or 4014 when they are "running" again?

Date: 04/01/15 07:12
Author: Roadrailer

Well as Ted stated, railfan Karma hit the CP Special as it was heading up the Ayer/Washy Sub. Rather than leaving the UP 5543 garbaGE at Hinkle (since it wasn't required any longer) the train continued north. At about 1530, the crew reported seeing flames from the electrical cabinet and were bailing out just south of the tunnel under the OR Hwy 730.

I left my post at Thrashers Curve/Port Kelley to investigate the incident and found them dead up on the fill north of Cold Springs hill (Pic 1 and 2). After several attempts to restart the GE, and a couple of rescue plans developed including sending the Wallula switcher south, they decided to use the CP 4107, apparently neither FP9s were operating previously, to push the offending unit to Wallula.

Due to the time, impending clouds and the ugly GE up front, I too bailed on taking any more pics.

Picture 3 is the shot I was able to snap of the southbound train on Sunday east of Burbank, WA.

Date: 04/01/15 07:51
Author: Truepig

Anyone have a current location this morning?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/01/15 08:04
Author: Roadrailer

They reportedly left the Trentwood (Spokane) station at 0655.

Date: 04/01/15 08:52
Author: bradleymckay

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would have shown some class if UP had put an E
> Unit up front.
> ALLEN

UP did show some class by not putting one of their locomotives on the point for the southbound (westbound) run to Hinkle.  What more do you want??

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/15 14:08 by bradleymckay.

Date: 04/01/15 10:08
Author: portlander

ActionMike Wrote:
> The more interesting question is why does a non
> standard train like this need to have a UP unit
> with cab signals in the lead?
>

There aren't any non-standard trains to the FRA!

Date: 04/01/15 10:19
Author: imrl

ActionMike Wrote:
> The more interesting question is why does a non
> standard train like this need to have a UP unit
> with cab signals in the lead?

As someone else pointed out, the FRA doesn't consider special moves any differently than normal moves. They can request a waiver but for one train, that is more trouble than it's worth. 

> And if this paltry little train needs to have a
> Diesel with cab signals lead it,
> then what will UP do with 844, 3985 or 4014 when
> they are "running" again?

The 844 and 3985 have cab signals installed. Both UP CCS and CNW ATC.  The 4014 back in the day should have had UP's CCS but I'm sure a more modern system will be installed. Now, the real question will be with steam and PTC. Will there be a way to adapt a PTC system to a steam locomotive or will the railroads have to go the FRA waiver route?  

Date: 04/01/15 10:20
Author: Truepig

It just passed through Moyie Springs.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds