Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Some typical, everyday UP on the Triple Track

Date: 04/01/15 20:12
Some typical, everyday UP on the Triple Track
Author: ns2557

Followed the UP west out of Denison Iowa today along US30.  Got a few shots here and there. Thought I'd share one or so with ya'll.

Shot 1. UP 5954 W with a very short train that even had a DPU on the rear. The 2nd unit was why I really stopped to get this one. CSX 3044 looking good in still fresh factory paint. This was at MP 105 of the Columbus Sub just west of Silver Creek Ne. Making about 15 MPH here in this shot. I stopped and had to wait for it to get where I was for about 10 minutes. Wanted to get ahead of it far enough so in the time it took me o get stopped and ready, it would not pass me.

Shot 2. UP 1886 leads 3 more eastbound in this shot. Don't get to see many trains led by standard cab units anymore, so I thought I would stop and get this one. 1886 has a rather different style Wing/Shield emblem on the nose. I like this version. But I guess that all has to do with the unit it's placed on.  And it must be a recent graduate from the SD40N rebuild program to boot. Fresh paint.  This is just west of Gothenberg Ne.

Shot 3.. UP 7428W just west of Brady Ne along that nice straight stretch of 3 track as they enter North Platte. This one pretty much was with me all the way from Gibbon Jct. Made good time with it. Had to wait here about 5 minutes for it to finally catch back up to me tho.  Always like pacing when I can, trains along the way.  This one was no exception.

Most trains seen today were Coal Loads along the way. Basic manifest were the second most seen and Stack Trains were the 3rd. This was from Denison Ia to Big Springs Ne.  Didn't count the ones in the yard at North Platte, these were the ones moving.  31 EB and 9 WB total.  All 3 of these taken today April Fools Day 2015.. Thanks all for looking.  Ben

Date: 04/02/15 05:49
Re: Some typical, everyday UP on the Triple Track
Author: SCKP187

Amazing, with that many trains seen, it would be hard for me to get any mileage accomplished. Like the "new" SD40N--I saw one yesterday also and they have just the right size wings on them to look really good.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/02/15 07:50
Author: oklachaser

Great shots Ben.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 04/02/15 12:55
Author: wesleygreer

Sweet shots, love that area. Looks like the freshly painted UP 6145 (ex-SP 144) is second out in your last shot. 

Date: 04/02/15 16:30

Brian, These were only the ones I saw. I did pick and choose which ones I stopped ang got shots of.Like ya said, that many trains You would never get anywhere. Each trip across this way, I try and get some different shots from different locations, to have a varied selection from the way.  I think I only stopped about 4 times the whole way across. Those SD40N's sure do look good in fresh paint and now even more so imho, with the "smaller decal" on the nose. And pretty much anyting moving or not with a standard cab, is a must stop for me anymore.  Thanks.  Ben

Date: 04/02/15 16:50

wesleygreer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sweet shots, love that area. Looks like the
> freshly painted UP 6145 (ex-SP 144) is second out
> in your last shot.  

Wesley, Saw a few freshly painted ex SP AC's along the way today. 6333 was one of them, the one in the shot is 6405.  Always something to see along this way, and for me, it's better than I80 across thru here.   Thanks.  Ben

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0606 seconds