Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Emergency Order On Flammable Liquid By DOT

Date: 04/17/15 20:19
Emergency Order On Flammable Liquid By DOT
Author: Out_Of_Service

excerpt from article:

The emergency order would require certain trains carrying Class 3 flammable liquids to restrict their speed to 40 miles per hour in specific urban areas. A separate safety advisory would recommend that railroads conduct pre-departure inspections of certain trains' brakes and mechanical systems and lower the threshold for determining when to replace a wheel, and another safety advisory would urge carriers and shippers to have certain information accessible for federal investigators in case of a derailment.

full article here:

http://www.bna.com/emergency-order-flammable-n17179925370/

Posted from Android

Date: 04/18/15 04:45
Re: Emergency Order On Flammable Liquid By DOT
Author: P

Well, I believe that the last 2 oil train explosions were of trains that were traveling below 40mph at the time of the derailment AND were made up of the updated tank car design.   Now what?

Date: 04/18/15 06:46
Author: BAB

P Wrote: I think that by doing a speed limit announcmnet its ment to keep the public outcry down. Now about the speed the ones which derailed were going, thats beside the point, dont we all know? LOL It wont matter if they travel at one mile a day with an armed guard its out now and down hill from here. Wait until the occupy forces get out on the track about it.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I believe that the last 2 oil train
> explosions were of trains that were traveling
> below 40mph at the time of the derailment AND were
> made up of the updated tank car design.   Now
> what?

Date: 04/18/15 09:26
Author: Realist

Why not 10 mph?

Following their logic, that must be safer than 40.

Date: 04/18/15 12:27
Author: Lackawanna484

The Wall Street Journal article on the announcement adds some additional details.

The BNSF Galena derailment and fire was caused by a broken wheel. The same wheel had triggered a hot box detector earlier in the trip, and was determined to be OK. Not previously known was the same wheel had triggered alarms on an earlier trip. I believe the Yorktown derailment also involved a wheel which had a recent prior defect report / OK, prior to its collapse.  I don't know what the requirement will be for checking (how many trips or miles, etc), but it will likely be a lot tighter than now.

The Journal also notes the feds are becoming concerned that the CPC 1232 cars aren't materially safer than the DOT 111 cars.  Good for the car builders, bad for the lease owners, etc

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds