Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Oil Train Safety: Lead by Example NOT

Date: 04/17/15 20:53
Oil Train Safety: Lead by Example NOT
Author: railstiesballast

Today I drove over the BNSF 32nd St. Crossing in Washougal, WA, where the mayor had promised to camp and count the oil trains. (There was an RV in an adjoining lot.)
There were two news crews with video cameras and tripods set up for live interviews on the right of way, behind the bold BNSF No Trespassing signs.  (Apologies for the phone camera image.)
For all the media coverage this politician was seeking the message delivered by his actions was "You don't have to stay off railroad tracks, safety is kind of a self-enforced thingy".
I wonder if his local police get his message: enforcing trespassing on the railroad is no big deal?
What if the BNSF had tried to partner with on-line police and state-wide highway patrols to build on the safety interest stimulated by oil trains?
I can see an opportunity for the BNSF (and any other RR) to get publicity as a cooperative joint effort: "We'll do our part, reducing risk that is under our control, and we'll support the local Public Safety Officers in doing what they can to reduce driver violations of crossing traffic laws and reducing trespassing in general."
Absent any smart railroad influence we get these political stunts that instead send mixed messages....

Date: 04/17/15 21:11
Re: Oil Train Safety: Lead by Example NOT
Author: radar

BNSF's press and public relations department really isn't smart enough to take advantage of the opportunity.  BNSF does a lot of things well, but that isn't one of them, at least not in Washington state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/15 21:12 by radar.

Date: 04/17/15 22:48
Author: SP4360

"Here's yer sign."  Call the BNSF and tell them tehy have trespassers all over the right of way.

Date: 04/18/15 07:09
Author: tomstp

W H A T ?  Expect a politician to follow the law?  Tsk tsk.

Date: 04/18/15 08:56
Author: wpdude

Sorry, I'm laughing so hard I can barely type!

Date: 04/18/15 13:24
Author: DrLoco

That's the most well dressed cameraman I've ever seen!

Date: 04/18/15 13:39
Author: bodkin6071

Says it all!

Date: 04/18/15 13:53
Author: Lackawanna484

DrLoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's the most well dressed cameraman I've ever
> seen!
>  

By far. Many camera crews vie for worst dressed in any gathering. The NY TV crews were banned from Prince William's official events in NY when they decided as a group not to wear ties and at least good slacks and sports jackets on the job.

I wonder if the camera guy is wearing the baseball cap?

Date: 04/18/15 14:26
Author: livesteamer

Where are the railroad cops?  Never around when you really need them.  Maybe the posted picture is enough evidence to cite all three individuals.  What do you say BNSF? 

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 04/18/15 14:49
Author: portlander

DrLoco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's the most well dressed cameraman I've ever
> seen!
>  

I thought that too, but upon a closer look, I believe the camera man is the guy in the purple shirt.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds