Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UPRR Sacramento Sub (CA)

Date: 04/17/15 22:30
UPRR Sacramento Sub (CA)
Author: TopCat

I'm sure someone here will know the answer.  Why is the UPRR Sacramento Subdivision listed in the timetable as a West/East railroad when it actually is North/South?  The Fresno Sub, Coast Sub were West/East in the SP
days (Geographic North/South) but it kind of surprises me that UP never has changed the direction of the Sacramento Sub to North/South.  The Fresno Sub is North/South.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

TopCat

Date: 04/18/15 07:54
Re: UPRR Sacramento Sub (CA)
Author: portlander

I would guess it's because it's part of an East-West corridor.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/18/15 08:51
Author: PHall

TopCat, you are looking for logic in a logic free zone...

Date: 04/18/15 08:52
Author: cctgm

I will only hazard a guess as in the past the old WP always east and west with MP 0 at Oakland while the Fresno and coast subs that truly were north south did not have the Bay Area as MP 0 I know when I came to the CCT I changed the timetable to reflect north/south as we were not running east/west so I made an arbitrary decision that it better fit the actual direction that CCT was operating so maybe the person who put the new UP timetables directions made that same decision or left it that way because that's how it always had been

Have a safe weekend 

Date: 04/18/15 10:58
Author: SierraRailfan

Hi, Topcat.  It's roots are back to the SP days when all traffic was west towards the San Francisco headquarters or east away from it.  I find it's best illustrated even to this day with the numbering of the Coast Starlight, 11 & 14.  In the SP days, there was a train 12 & 13 with the change in or around Oakland, but only in the computers of the SP, not the general public timetables. 

Roger

Date: 04/18/15 13:28
Author: sphogger

Portlander has it correct. Labeled by corridor. Sac Sub continues as Feather River Sub.

Same as nearby I5 Woodland to Sac (airport) is geographically east/west on a N/S Interstate.

sphogger

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/18/15 13:35
Author: TopCat

sphogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Portlander has it correct. Labeled by corridor.
> Sac Sub continues as Feather River Sub.
>

>
> sphogger
>
> Posted from iPhone

That makes sense.  The train would change from North to East when it transferred to the Canyon Sub.  Thanks for the info.  Enjoy the weekend.

TopCat

Date: 04/20/15 00:23
Author: Beowawe

Actually Oakland on the WP was milepost 5.  Mile post 0 was the Ferry Building in San Francisco.  This distance was figured by the ferry routes.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds