Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > "Milwaukeesque" Electrics

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/25/15 08:05
"Milwaukeesque" Electrics
Author: YukonYeti

A fellow fan labeled these electrics as being "Milwaukesque."  Using that term allows placement on the western board based on "what may have been."  That being said, these massive electrics are the largest in the world hauling 70 car taconite trains from the iron mines of central Sweden to the Norwegian port of Narvik.  This is mountain railroading at its finest: tunnels, snow sheds, running meets.  Other shots will be posted over on the international forum from time to time...  The motors are built by Bombardier, the ore cars are Swedish, the car's running gear is USA and the couplers are Russian.   Last comment, these beat a steady stream of  GEVO's.

Sven aka Yukon Yeti

p.s.  All images taken the week of April 13, 2015.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 09:55 by YukonYeti.

Date: 04/25/15 08:26
Re: "Milwaukeesque" Electrics
Author: fbe

Yes, I could see these on the Montana Idaho border in 2010 painted orange and black with a Hiawatha nose herald and a bold MILWAUKEE along the side. The catenary would be different of course.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 04/25/15 08:37
Author: CPR_4000

I guess the reporting marks are "IORE ###?" Is the word above that the locomotive's name?

Date: 04/25/15 08:42

There are 34 units in the fleet, working in pairs and are not permanently coupled  IORE is the class of locomotive (Iron Ore).  The units are named after stations,  the mining town (Kiruna) ports  (Narvik & Lieua), and mountains along the route.  Other interesting points about the LKAB, the route is ATC controlled, the locomotives are not painted but are vinyled.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 08:59 by YukonYeti.

Date: 04/25/15 08:58

Ah, so. And LKAB is the railroad/company name? How much HP / kW per unit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 08:59 by CPR_4000.

Date: 04/25/15 08:59
Author: GN_X838

What part of Sweden is this ? My father was from Oostersund,Hakin......Swede....Albany,Or.

Date: 04/25/15 09:09
Author: CrudPunko

Cool photos (literally) but I'm not seeing the the Milwaukee-ness of them.

Date: 04/25/15 09:16

Information tidbits:

Power output: 10,800 kw
Tractive effortL 270,000 lbs (double unit)
Temp tractive effort 314,730 (double unit)
Max Speed 80 KM
Normal Op Speed: 50-70 km
Length (pairs) 150 ft, 3 inches
Weight 793,655 lbs 360 Metric tons
Couplers: SA3 with automatic release.

The line runs from the world's larges underground iron mine in Kiruna, Sweden (approx. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle, roughly in the north center of the country.  From Kiruna, the line runs west (approx. 175 km) to Narvik, Norway.  (Narbik is an ice free port.)  East fron Kiruna, the line runs to Lulea, Sweden.  Total length of the line including branch lines is aprox 500 km/310 miles.  The vast majority of the taconite is shipped via Narvik.  Some is shipped to Lulea for processing into slabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 09:17 by YukonYeti.

Date: 04/25/15 09:22

Eastbound IORE 118 leaves the western snowshed at Vassijaure, Sweden.  As far as being Milwaukeesque, a well known foamer from Galt, ON provided that moniker.

Later in the chase..  #118 passes by the dormant substation at Torne Trask.  Part of the building is now a private home.

A loaded taconite with #120 in the lead takes the westbound wye leg at Kiruna.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 10:30 by YukonYeti.

Date: 04/25/15 09:27
Author: railwaybaron

Great, little known in the USA, railroad! Are any of the old three unit side-rodders still working?

Date: 04/25/15 09:35

In answer to the older DM3 side road electric.  These were withdrawn from service in 2012.  Two were kept in reserve until 2014.  Four still survice two in musums and the other two are wasting away.

Date: 04/25/15 09:45

YukonYeti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Information tidbits:
>
> Power output: 10,800 kw
> Tractive effortL 270,000 lbs (double unit)
> Temp tractive effort 314,730 (double unit)

That 10,800 kW (14,500 hp) must be for a pair, also? I can easily picture these Americanized a bit.

Date: 04/25/15 10:23
Author: fbe

That is account you are used to all the photos of MILW motors from 1914 and 1949. What if there had been a progression of electrics to include GE E-33C then E-44C units? Then the cowl body E-60C design. These European design units would not look so out of place in Montana.

CrudPunko Wrote:
> Cool photos (literally) but I'm not seeing the the
> Milwaukee-ness of them.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 04/25/15 10:39
Author: The_Chief_Way

This is pretty juicy stuff !  Thanks for posting !

Date: 04/25/15 11:09
Author: ironmtn

Excellent images as always, Yeti. "Milwaukeeesque" indeed. A fine environment with many rocks and glaciers for your habitat -- and some incredible trains too. Not hard at all to see why they would be to your liking.

For those of you who may be interested, member McKey has previously provided excellent coverage of these IORE electrics and their predecessors and the line on which they serve in quite a number of posts, and has also authored an e-book on the subject. Do a search for all dates under his screen name "McKey", or the term "Malmbana" and you'll find many excellent in-depth posts and images on the subject. Look for the posts in the "Running with the IOREs" series. He posted these in the European Railroads area, where he is a frequent contributor. Those of us who regularly visit the European section will recognize this information. It is worth the effort to look at these posts in addition to the Yeti's fine images: it is a spectacular operation, with some incredible motive power.

Here are a few favorite threads from those McKey has posted on this operation:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,2843721,2847205#msg-2847205
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,2621398,2621398#msg-2621398
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,3096366,3096569#msg-3096569

The unloading facility for these iron ore trains is probably unlike anything you have ever seen -- you gotta see this. Patience - scroll down in the images, and don't by put off by the European equipment:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,3460654,3462637#msg-3462637

Others have also posted some dramatic images of the line and its trains:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,2177491,2183515#msg-2183515
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?17,1683939,1684552#msg-1684552

Thanks to the Yeti again for sharing his excellent images with us on the American side of the pond, and drawing an apt comparison to the Milwaukee in the days of yore (pre-IORE, that is) to acquaint some of us with this operation who may not have learned of it in the European section. Does the Yeti have more to share from this land so suited to his habitat? I'll probably never get there, but this is an operation that has totally fascinated me. More, Yeti, if you please....

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 04/25/15 11:58
Author: SP4360

fbe Wrote:
> Yes, I could see these on the Montana Idaho border
> in 2010 painted orange and black with a Hiawatha
> nose herald and a bold MILWAUKEE along the side.
> The catenary would be different of course.
>
> Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

That would be cool. Ok you photoshoppers, get busy.

Date: 04/25/15 13:18
Author: dcmkris

While I may not love the looks of them I can deffinetly see the thought behind them being Milwaukeesque.

It would have been interesting if Milwaukee took GE up on the rehab of the electrified and closing the "gap" in 1972-73.
I think there is enough evidence and from speaking to people on both sides of the study that the electrics would have 
been at the time very similar to the NdeM E60's.  I think there was even some discussion of rehabing the Joes at the same
time as protection power.

Now had the Milwaukee managment been able to game plan and pick up business in the over the road haul TOFC, COFC,
coal and grain movements, there is no reason to beleive they would not have needed improved capacity and therefore
more power.  

So would Milwaukee Road have been loyal and gone back to GE for more purchases or would EMD have put effort into 
their electric demos =14pxGM6C and GM10B tested by Conrail?   

I think the GM6C would have had a shot since it shared a good deal with the SD40-2.  Looking a little further down the 
line it's quite possible GF6C's like BC Rail rostered would be appropriate.  These were all 1980's creations what would 
the 1990's have brought?  How about an electric SD90 or maybe a 8-40c or AC4400?

But now in 2015 it's fair to think that the locomotive design for an electric would trend towards the mono-body style used
over in Europe.  Depending on the size of order it would be interesting if EMD or GE would even give a moderen electric
locomotive order consideration.  I do think both Simenes and Bombardier with their TRAXX would try and get the order
to hopefully build into the North American locomotive market.

Fun to ponder the possabilities, too bad we will most likely never see heavy mainline freight action in the US or Canada,
in our lifetimes again.

Kris

Date: 04/25/15 13:39
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE...!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/25/15 13:53
Author: 2ebright

"Fun to ponder the possabilities, too bad we will most likely never see heavy mainline freight action in the US or Canada,
in our lifetimes again. "

I see heavy electric freight action frequently near my home: think Deseret Power Ry. either 3 or sometimes 4 E60 electrics.

Dick
Roosevelt, UT

Date: 04/25/15 14:33
Author: dcmkris

2ebright Wrote:
> "Fun to ponder the possabilities, too bad we will
> most likely never see heavy mainline freight
> action in the US or Canada,
> in our lifetimes again. "
>
> I see heavy electric freight action frequently
> near my home: think Deseret Power Ry. either 3 or
> sometimes 4 E60 electrics.
>
> Dick
> Roosevelt, UT

You know open foot stick in mouth, I know all about them pretty cool operation they have.

I should have said we will never see heavy mainline transcontinental trains in our lifetimes.

Kris

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1044 seconds