Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > New Followed by Old: ACS-64 and RDG 2100 Tenders

Date: 04/30/15 13:03
New Followed by Old: ACS-64 and RDG 2100 Tenders
Author: Agent

Back on Monday, I was prepared to catch the newest and logo-less ACS-64 642 on the eastbound California Zephyr at Ottumwa, Iowa when I was told the two tenders for Reading 2100 had finally left Lincoln, Nebraska on a H-LINGAL1-25.  I hoped I could catch both trains in the same trip, and it turned out I didn't have to wait that long.

The first three clips show Amtrak #6 arriving and then departing from the Ottumwa depot.  I included a few close-up shots of AMTK 642 before it gets its new paint at Beech Grove.  I heard it was going to get a Veterans scheme and be the electric version of AMTK 42.

About twenty minutes later the H-LINGAL1-25, a High priority mixed freight from Lincoln, Nebraska to Galesburg, Illinois, came through the platforms led by BNSF 8242 and 4119.  The two tenders were on flatcars that were the second and third cars.  The clip at Ottumwa cuts after the tenders go by.  I drove until I got in front of the train west of Batavia, Iowa to film it again on the other side.  This clip shows the whole train.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/30/15 14:09
Re: New Followed by Old: ACS-64 and RDG 2100 Tenders
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

NICE video!  Great to have a bit of the talk from
the scanner.  And NO graffiti on many of the cars!

Thanks for getting the entire train the tenders were
on.  (I still do not understand why the tenders were
not put in the same train as the locommotive.)

Date: 04/30/15 14:10
Author: daniel3197

Superb historic video and superb timing and luck for you !!!
Thank you a million for taking this video and sharing it with us !!!
---- Daniel 

Date: 04/30/15 14:26
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video!!  Thanks!

Date: 04/30/15 17:22
Author: Kimball

As I understand it, the locomotive is a high-wide move and needed special routing.  The tenders could have taken more routes or trains as they were just a regular load.  Another TO post speculated that if the move was done at a low or favorable cost, then having the tender moves be more flexible was desirable.

Date: 05/01/15 05:17
Author: jim6300loco

What railroad did the second tender orginally belong to? It is not a READING tender. The Reading never had vanderbuilt tenders.I'm thinking it may have been a Southern Pacific tender.
Jim

Date: 05/01/15 06:16
Author: Normanroger

Where in the list of train priorities does an "H" train fit?

Date: 05/01/15 09:05
Author: 70ACE

Normanroger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where in the list of train priorities does an "H"
> train fit?

Second from last place (just above Manifest) freights.

Date: 05/01/15 15:55
Author: ProAmtrak

Great video and yeah it is nice no graffiti crap on the freight cars except for a few of them!

Date: 05/01/15 22:15
Author: atsf121

Nice video of some interesting trains.  I had to look up Ottumwa on the map and realized we drive right past it on our way from Des Moines to Burlington and on the Spingfield, IL on our big road trip last summer.  I'll have to get back there again some day, with more time to chase trains.  

Nathan

Date: 05/03/15 20:01
Author: Agent

Thanks for all the compliments.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds