Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF derailment near Decker, MT

Date: 05/22/15 13:28
BNSF derailment near Decker, MT
Author: mtnwestrail

Big Horn Mountain Radio Network: "BREAKING NEWS: Derailment on Decker Highway has been confirmed. News director Justin Wolffing on scene. He reports that there is complete road blockage and the traffic is backed up. At least four train cars are on their side and coal is spilled. Full story to come!!"

This location is just across the state line where the BNSF Dutch Sub crosses the highway.  The switch for the loop for West Decker is just north of this highway crossing.  There is a very popular reservoir just north of this area so they weekend traffic could be a mess.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 05/22/15 13:33
Re: BNSF derailment near Decker, MT

A few photos here.  It appears they moved some of the cars from the derailed train on to the branch to the East Decker Mine which you see in the background of two of the photos.  Here is a map of the derailment location.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/15 13:37 by mtnwestrail.

Date: 05/22/15 18:53
Author: steeplecab

Was this the contract crews or BNSF crews? Those contract guys seem to make a big mess every once in a while. I'd bet that crossing isn't blocked long. It's Memorial Day weekend and those Sheridan folks want to get out to Tongue Reservoir! I wouldn't be surprised that a loader isn't roaded out from the mine along the right-of-way and things are cleaned up PDQ!
steeplecab

Date: 05/22/15 22:00

steeplecab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was this the contract crews or BNSF crews?

Based on the location of the train, I think it was a BNSF crew in control of the train.

> I  wouldn't be surprised that a loader isn't roaded out from the mine along the right-of-way and things are cleaned up PDQ!

They had one lane open pretty quickly, but were waiting for the 'cat pack' to remove the other car blocking the crossing which had derailed.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

Date: 05/23/15 17:02
Author: dash944cw

Uh... didn't see  "a few photos" or a "map" on your post....(??)
mtnwestrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few photos here.  It appears they moved some of
> the cars from the derailed train on to the branch
> to the East Decker Mine which you see in the
> background of two of the photos.  Here is a map
> of the derailment location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds