Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Omaha's Three Depots

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/27/15 21:16
Omaha's Three Depots
Author: bnsfsd70

A few weekends ago, I had a great time up in Omaha and especially enjoyed the opportunity to get out and photograph the city's railroad stations.

First up are three shots I got of the old Union Station, as seen under stormy night skies after one of the many events at the beautifully restored station concluded. The station is now home to the Durham Museum, which is dedicated to preserving and displaying the history of the United States' western region.  

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 05/27/15 21:23
Re: Omaha's Three Depots

Directly across the tracks from Union Station is the old Chicago, Burlington & Quincy station.  On this particular night, the skies were partictularly threatening, and it was only a matter of time before the rain rolled in.  Currently, the station is in the process of being restored to serve as the new home for KETV's news studios.

Photos 5 & 6 show a few images of Amtrak train #5, the westbound California Zephyr making its stop there, but don't be confused, the Burlington depot isn't a "depot" anymore...

Regarding photo 6, you're looking at Iowa Pacific's unnamed Budd Diner #800448 as it brings up the markers on the westbound California Zephyr while deadheading to IP's shop in Alamosa, CO.  If you squint just a little bit, it could surely pass for a scene out of the 60's.

- Jeff Carlson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/15 21:31 by bnsfsd70.

Date: 05/27/15 21:29

"The Burlington Station isn't the Amtrak station," you say?  Nope.  In the same manner that Kansas City's Union Station was ungloriously relegated to paperweight status with Amtrak moving out to a smaller, adjacent facility, Amtrak now calls this cookie-cutter station home.  It's certainly sad to see them in this space as opposed to either of the glorious structures nearby, but I understand the rationale to get out of the older buildings.  Hopefully, there can be some sort of concession made with the Burlington Station's renovation to allow for them to move back in, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for looking,
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 05/27/15 21:58
Author: walstib

Maybe a more appropriate title for this thread would be "Omaha's Two And A Half Depots," as the Amtrak depot pales in comparison to the other two.

Seriously, though, nice shots. I always enjoy visiting Omaha and I love the Durham Museum.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/27/15 23:23
Author: Lt51506

As a former part time resident to the Omaha area, can anyone tell why there are rail leads going into the old Burlington station, sealed behind welded steel doors?  Last I was there in 2014, the switch was still in place.  Was this possibily the postal annex?

Date: 05/27/15 23:23
Author: MartyBernard

An excallent post.  Thanks.

Marty Bernard

Date: 05/28/15 00:08
Author: Greydog30

the Postal annex is on futher west of the Burlington Depo on the west side of 10th streett

Date: 05/28/15 00:22
Author: stash

Having been in Omaha just weeks ago I tried to hit all the high spots in town. The Durham Museum was beautiful; a must see if you're in Omaha. Naturally, I went to the Union Pacific Center, the UP museum, and even the big Golden Spike in Council Bluffs. I also stopped at the Centennial/Big Boy display on the hillside. Getting those two locomotives in position must have been quite a moving job. Great time in Omaha and fabulous trip home on the California Zephyr.

Date: 05/28/15 05:32
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!! I like the look of Pic 4!!

Date: 05/28/15 05:47
Author: oklachaser

Great photos Jeff. Especially #4.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 05/28/15 05:54
Author: SCKP187

These are great photos Jeff. I'm very happy to hear the CB&Q depot will be renovated as it has looked pretty messed up the last decade, however, the way you shot it at night it doesn't look quite as run down.
Brian Stevens

Date: 05/28/15 06:17
Author: Bob3985

stash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having been in Omaha just weeks ago I tried to hit
> all the high spots in town. The Durham Museum was
> beautiful; a must see if you're in Omaha.
> Naturally, I went to the Union Pacific Center, the
> UP museum, and even the big Golden Spike in
> Council Bluffs. I also stopped at the
> Centennial/Big Boy display on the hillside.
> Getting those two locomotives in position must
> have been quite a moving job. Great time in Omaha
> and fabulous trip home on the California Zephyr.
Stash,
The next time you are back that way there is also the monument where Grenville Dodge and Abe Lincoln stood to declare the beginning of the transcontinental route up on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River. Dodge's grave is near there as well.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/28/15 06:50
Author: glcaddis

How come the CB&Q didn't use "Union Depot"?  Great post, I enjoyed it very much.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/15 06:51 by glcaddis.

Date: 05/28/15 08:53

Of course, in a city this size, I was certain to have missed a few.  

Off list, it was pointed out to me that there's a restored suburban station in the Florence neighborhood, northwest of downtown that had been built by the Omaha and Northwestern Railroad Company on its line from Omaha to Blair, NE.  More on this depot can be seen here: http://www.historicflorence.org/Attractions/depot.php

In addition, one quick hop across the river into Council Bluffs presents you with Rock Island's depot, the home of the Rails West Museum.  This shot of the Iowa Interstate 601/650 slug set was taken back in May, 2013.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 05/28/15 09:12
Author: truxtrax

My only memory of Omaha is getting off at an Amshack in 1982
at 5:00am in the rain!

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 05/28/15 09:14

Thanks, Brian!  The Burlington depot actually looks pretty good right now, and you can tell that there's plenty of work going on with it.  Here's another view of the end of it that faces 10th St.

- Jeff Carlson

SCKP187 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These are great photos Jeff. I'm very happy to
> hear the CB&Q depot will be renovated as it has
> looked pretty messed up the last decade, however,
> the way you shot it at night it doesn't look quite
> as run down.
> Brian Stevens

Date: 05/28/15 12:07
Author: twropr

Which station did the Rock Island passengers  use in Omaha?  How 'bout MP and IC?
Thanks!

Andy

Date: 05/28/15 12:21
Author: zr190

Rock Island used Union Station.
zr190

Date: 05/28/15 13:35

Here are some low quality cell phone pics inside the former Omaha Union Station. Beautiful place.
Look at the train board.

Date: 05/28/15 13:37

Kenefick Park with a view toward Iowa. Interstate 80 runs below and when you enter Omaha westbound, these two giants greet you. Also, the plaque at the park.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds