Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Seattle Sub along Airport Way, 5-27-2015

Date: 05/29/15 00:45
BNSF Seattle Sub along Airport Way, 5-27-2015
Author: Rainier_Rails

After the tip from Tor that UP #1996 was in Argo Yard, I decided another trip up Airport Way to Georgetown/Argo and back was in order.  However, the #1996 once again had its cloaking device turned on, as I couldn't see even a hint of it either from the Airport Way or 4th Avenue overpasses.  But, I did see some other engines and trains worth noting:

I wasn't having the best timing, so the following trains either avoided my lens or I had seen them 2 days earlier.

1 & 2) The crude oil unit seen on Monday hadn't moved an inch, and on one of the tracks to the west was a string of empty garbage containers, which had also been there on Monday.

3) Passing the Georgetown signals (MP 4.2) was a southbound BNSF manifest, hiding behind the oil and garbage cars. 

4) With the engines hiding behind the tail end of the BNSF freight, a southbound loaded UP garbage train, the U-SEGL-27 (Seattle to Gilliam, OR), passed under the Bailey signals (MP 3.6).  Whereas the BNSF garbage train U-EVEROO (Everett, WA to Roosevelt, WA) consists mainly of Allied Waste containers, the SEGL consists of Waste Management containers.

5) Directly behind the SEGL, and therefore, not available to photograph, was a southbound Sounder commuter run, the 3:12 departure from King Street running only to Tacoma.

6) As I was passing the original Georgetown brewery, through the gaps in between the brick buildings I could see UP C45AH (ES44AC-H) #8220 heading south through Argo (MP 3.3) with another engine leading.

7) After capturing the pictures seen below, going up West Marginal Way past the south end of Boeing Field and the Museum of Flight, I spotted the inbound BNSF Z-Train, slowly approaching CP Boeing* and the TOFC yard.

*Interestingly, for northbound trains, this location is known as Rhodes, whereas southbound it is Boeing.  To avoid confusion, I'll continue to refer to this location as Boeing.

I should also note that on Monday, the 7 engines seen on stand-by at CP Boeing at 5:29 PM were for the outbound Z-Train, which I saw departing the TOFC yard at 7:34 PM.  Then on stand-by at Boeing was C44-9W #5156, and ES44DC's #7293 and #7611.

Now for the pictures:

1) 3:15 PM: At CP Boeing, the lineup of engines on stand-by consisted of BNSF ES44C4's #6772 and #6690, C44-9W #5357, and 2 out-of-town visitors:

2) 3:34 PM: CSX C40-8W #7702

3) 3:34 PM: CSX C40-8W #7660

More to come.

Date: 05/29/15 00:51
Re: BNSF Seattle Sub along Airport Way, 5-27-2015

Last 2:

4) 3:34 PM: Another view of #6772.

5) 3:34 PM: A view of #5357.

Date: 05/29/15 14:57
Author: upbuddyboy

Great commentary and location info
Brian

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/29/15 15:49
Author: TAW

Rainier_Rails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> *Interestingly, for northbound trains, this
> location is known as Rhodes, whereas southbound it
> is Boeing.

There are two back to back interlockings Rhodes (the south one), and Boeing (the north one). The track arrangement that was needed there was too long for a single interlocking.

TAW

Date: 05/29/15 16:33

TAW is correct.  Boeing is MP 6.6, and Rhodes is MP 6.3.

Date: 05/29/15 16:55
Author: TAW

Rainier_Rails Wrote:
> TAW is correct.

They built it pretty much the way I drew it a couple of decades ago as part of the plan to accommodate all of the new passenger trains to come (and the ones that are are still coming).

TAW

Date: 05/29/15 18:04
Author: MP555

TAW Wrote:
> They built it pretty much the way I drew it a
> couple of decades ago as part of the plan to
> accommodate all of the new passenger trains to
> come (and the ones that are are still coming).

Next year, Main 3 is supposed to get extended from Black River to Glacier Park and the Kent industrial siding upgraded for a 3rd main all the way down to James.  Early utility work has begun at Black River.

Date: 05/29/15 22:21

Thanks for the info on the Main 3 extension.  I knew that was in the long-term plan, but hadn't heard anything about when.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds