Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > View From Rowena Crest

Date: 05/29/15 07:04
View From Rowena Crest
Author: Auburn_Ed

Holding with popular theory, it seems there are always more trains on the OTHER side of the Columbia River.  Here looking across Rowena Gap (barely a mile east of Lyle).

Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/15 07:59 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 05/29/15 09:09
Re: View From Rowena Crest
Author: Fred

Great Shot 1 How busy is that BNSF line ?  Which line sees more trains - that one or the UP line across the river??
Thanks 

Date: 05/29/15 10:01

I've never counted or kept real close tabs on the traffic numbers, it seems to me traffic is about equal.  Exceptions are MOW windows on either railroad that can diminish the count.  Listen to the detectors.  Also, plan around the bridges that are available (free AND toll) at Cascade Locks, Hood River, The Dalles, and Biggs.  If you're not near one of them, well, it's shoot across the river time.

Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/15 10:06 by Auburn_Ed.

Date: 05/29/15 10:19
Author: truxtrax

The last picture of Mayer State Park below the bluff is a great place to picnic, swim, and watch trains.
The last time we picniced there was when 3985 came to the PNW.

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 05/29/15 14:43

I. too, was in that race.  Was almost impossible to get ahead of the engine, even with freeway speeds.  And finding a spot to stop, park, and photo was nigh on to impossible.  But your point is well taken; there are several state parks along both sides of the river and all offer access, if not a direct view, to the tracks.

Ed

Date: 05/29/15 18:05
Author: ns2557

Ed, Having just been thru that area the last cou[le of days, You're shots are fantastic. I can't get enough iof this area. I usually am on the Oregon side, but would like to check out the Wsahington side one of these days. Only problem is, when I am thru here, it's usually working, and that means an 18 Wheeler, as my main source of transportation. Having been east out of Vancouver to the Bridge t Cascade Locks, then crossing over to the Oregon side due to not being to sure if Big Trucks can go east on that side from the Bridge or not. I have seen trucks over there, but witha few signs warning of low clearances fartehr east, just haven't wanted to try it.  But thanks for the shots.  They are awesome.   Ben

Date: 05/29/15 19:23

I think big rigs can travel the WA side (hiway 14) all the way to I-82, I see them all the time.  And there are lots of pull-offs that will handle large trucks (east of Bingen/White Salmon to hiway 97.  It IS two lane, though).

Ed    

Date: 05/29/15 19:44
Author: ns2557

Thanks Ed, Will check it out next time thru.  Ben

Date: 05/30/15 11:46
Author: pmack

Ed, that is one of my favorite places and one of the places the river isn't too wide and you can easily shoot across it.  One of my favorite shots from there:

Date: 05/30/15 17:20
Author: Fred

Real nice shot. Where was it taken at?
Thanks all you guys for the nice photos and info as well

Date: 06/01/15 11:45
Author: ns1000

NIIIIIIICE....!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds