Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > No. 3 Southwest Chief makes rare daylight visit to Osage City, KS

Date: 06/26/15 17:30
No. 3 Southwest Chief makes rare daylight visit to Osage City, KS
Author: JoCoLB

Amtrak's No. 3 Southwest Chief passenger train, which usually crosses most of Kansas in the nighttime on the BNSF Topeka Sub. and La Junta Sub., was found making a rare daylight run today, June 26, 2015.

The train was running more than 15 hours late when it passed through the small town of Osage City, Kan., southwest of Topeka. This image, which shows the former ATSF depot in Osage City,  was captured by local resident Robert Youngers, an avid Kansas railfan. The depot now serves as a town museum and is not an Amtrak station stop.

In the picture, No. 3, with engines No. 90 and No. 145, was more than a half day late on its journey from Chicago to Los Angeles due to severe flooding yesterday on the BNSF transcon in northeast Missouri and southeast Iowa. The Southwest Chief was diverted over another Amtrak route between Chicago and St. Louis, and then took the U.P. Sedalia Sub. between St. Louis and Kansas City, which also serves Amtrak Missouri River Runner trains.  I have no explanation as to the cause of all the delays that were experienced on the detour route for No. 3.

This train will probably still be more than a half-day late when it arrives in L.A.

Today's regularly-scheduled  No. 3 Chicago departure left early this afternoon, but it will not have to detour. The Missouri and Iowa track trouble spots have been repaired and train traffic reportedly is flowing between Kansas City and Chicago.

(Photo courtesy of Roberts Youngers, Osage City, Kan.)

Date: 06/26/15 17:33
Re: No. 3 Southwest Chief makes rare daylight visit to Osage City

Here's a photo of the same No. 3 train as it was traveling west just a few miles west of Kansas City, Kan., in the lush Kansas River valley.

(Photo by Larry Byers

Date: 06/26/15 17:34

To Lance and others: Please note  Photo One was taken by Robert Youngers of Osage City, Kan., as mentioned in the first caption.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/15 17:37 by JoCoLB.

Date: 06/26/15 17:50
Author: The_Chief_Way

very nice
thanks for posting

Date: 06/26/15 17:50
Author: unclebob

Made Hutchinson (KS) at 6:45pm.  Caught it arriving.  Son and I headed to Partridge to catch it on the super elevated curve as it parted ways with the parallel UP Golden State Route.

My son got an excellent video on his fancy dancy new phone.  I will post later.

Mike

Date: 06/26/15 18:20
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I have often wanted a video on the curve too. I will watch for its arrival here.

Date: 06/26/15 18:30
Author: santafe199

JoCoLB Wrote:
> To Lance and others: Please note  Photo One was
> taken by Robert Youngers of Osage City, Kan., as
> mentioned in the first caption.

My mistake! I first opened your post on my cell phone, and didn't get the right photo credit. Still, it was a great catch!

Lance

Date: 06/26/15 19:18

Here is a photo of the same Amtrak No. 3 train today passing the former ATSF Railway depot at Strong City, Kan. The photo is submitted,  courtesy of Daniel Archer of Winfield, Kan., the photographer. Daniel formerly resided in the Strong City area.

This depot is currently in the process of being renovated and restored as a railroad museum. More than $400,000 is being spent in the preservation effort. 

Strong City is about 20 miles west of Emporia, Kan., which was once a major ATSF Railway hub. Emporia's historic ATSF depot was destroyed by fire a number of years ago. Cause of the fire was never determined.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/15 19:50 by JoCoLB.

Date: 06/26/15 19:53
Author: unclebob

Happened to be headed downtown in Hutchinson (KS) tonight, and we saw #3 pull across about 12 blocks ahead of us.  The chase was on!  We fought our way thru downtown traffic lights, repaving on K-61/US 50 that had us down to single lanes and 50mph and got out to the curve at Partridge with 2 minutes to spare.  Parked the F350 and walked  to the crossing.

My 16 yr old son has been working with our Canon digital taking still photos, but shot this with his new Samsung phone.  Really his first video.  (I'm looking for a good, free stabilization program if anyone knows one.)  I took a video also, but for some reason it is choppy.  His color is much better anyway.  

I have no idea who the fellow is waving.

Enjoy!
Mike

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/26/15 19:54
Author: SoCalRailFan

I see it's 15 hours late into Riverside, CA tomorrow.

Dave Toussaint
Riverside, CA
SoCalRailFan.com

Date: 06/26/15 20:31
Author: The_Chief_Way

No, its 15 plus hours late in western Kansas. Any ETA into California is just guesswork at this
point. Keep checking back. Yes, its past the detour, but.....

Date: 06/26/15 23:27
Author: sp7878

When a train is this late, do the passengers actually stay with it?  Looks like it would be better to get off and catch a bus.

Date: 06/27/15 06:27
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 06/27/15 07:08
Author: goneon66

time to start thinking about a location to video #3 into kingman during daylight........

Date: 06/27/15 08:32

As of right now, this particular train is running slightly more than 19 hours late. Will passengers lose track of what day it is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/15 08:41 by JoCoLB.

Date: 06/27/15 09:07
Author: santafe199

One is reminded of this zany story: For several days the train into "Anytown, USA" had been running ridiculously late. It just kept getting later & later. Then one day the train rolled right in on its advertised time. A regular passenger was so pleased she offered congratulations to the station master, who responded with: Thank you ma'am, but this is YESTERDAY'S train..."

Posted from Android

Date: 06/27/15 10:43

To people along the remainder of the route, this is "yesterday's train."

Date: 06/27/15 13:23
Author: goneon66

just hope they keep enough beer stocked...........

Date: 06/29/15 07:49
Author: switchlock

Great video clilp, Mike!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds