Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What's for breakfast?

Date: 07/02/15 06:18
What's for breakfast?
Author: santafe199

I awoke on the morning of day #2 of my recent voyage to & from the annual Santa Fe convention in Addison, TX ready for breakfast. I had stayed with a cousin in Norman, OK. I had grand plans to follow the old Rock Island main all the way down to Fort Worth. But first things first: I was ready to eat! I found a place in El Reno, OK a hungry Rock Island fan dreams of: a living, breathing Rock Island diner. AND… with great food!!! It’s called: “Rock Island Diner” (surprise!) and has been open since last December.

Ok, so this one isn’t exactly riding on flanged wheels. You’ll have to use your imagination on that. But the food does not require any imagination; not one bit. Of course I sat down and had my standard bacon & 2 over easy, toast and hash browns. With a spot of coffee and an ice-cold glass of milk to wash it down I gave it an “A”. I also had a ringside seat to see orders coming off the grill. Everything that went before my eyes looked fit for a king.

So if ya happen to find yourself in El Reno a little on the hungry side be sure to check this place out. You won’t be disappointed.

1. “Right this way to the Rock Island Diner!” (@ 316 S Bickford Avenue) in El Reno, OK.

2. There’s Willie II behaving himself outside while I’m fixin’ to go in and have some breakfast…
(2 photos taken June 21, 2015)

Pass the pepper, please!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 07/02/15 06:42
Re: What's for breakfast?
Author: aehouse

I get a kick out eatieres advertising "home cooked" and "home style" food.  If that's what I want, I'll save the expense and eat at home.

Date: 07/02/15 07:17
Author: P

aehouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get a kick out eatieres advertising "home
> cooked" and "home style" food.  If that's what I
> want, I'll save the expense and eat at home.

Whether correct or not, my take is that if they advertise this, they are saying their food is fresh and perhaps not frozen, or prepackaged such as you may find in 'chain' restaurants.   If this true, then I would find value in that and enjoy the unique atmosphere of a family owned small-time business.  
In rural America, a place like this may be your only choice unless you brought your own meals with you to eat cold.

Date: 07/02/15 07:37
Author: oklachaser

Great find Lance. I'll have to check it out time I'm in El Reno.

Ronda Thomas

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/02/15 08:12
Author: ntharalson

Nice E3/6 graphic on the sign.  

Anymore, I look for the "family style-home cooking" place when I'm traveling.  Usually
the food is solid and reasonably priced.  This place looks worth a look if I'm ever in
El Reno.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/02/15 08:59
Author: The_Chief_Way

I see Willie II is sporting a personalized license plate.

Date: 07/02/15 08:59
Author: Milw_E70

So are you getting so old that you had to put your TO name on your license plate in order to remember that's your car? Hehehehe ;-)

Date: 07/02/15 09:26
Author: santafe199

Milw_E70 Wrote: > So are you getting so old that you had to put your TO name on your license plate...

Awwwriggghhttt! I'll give ya the full 50 pts for that one... :^P   Actually I'm gettin' too old to be a hot college bar DJ (Sir L).
Oh... to be 30 again, spinning real 45s & occasional album cuts. I love the smell of vinyl on a Friday evening, taking requests from all the sorority girls!
(The frat & jock dudes can take a number! ;^)

DJ Sir L (ret.)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds