Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Playing Catch-up

Date: 07/02/15 19:51
Playing Catch-up
Author: ATSF2921

It's been a while since I've posted anything here on TO.  I thought a catch-up post was in order.  All photos taken in and around the KC area.  Dates are in the captions.

1) - W/b intermodal passes a mixed manifest stopped in background at Holliday.  4/30/15.
2) - Nice to see SD40s pulling containers even though it's a transfer run around the Bottoms.  5/12/15.
3) - Total surprise to see a SD9043MAC on the point!  The wings look good on it.  5/20/15.

More following...

Date: 07/02/15 19:52
Re: Playing Catch-up

4) - Spankin' new C4s:  8377, 8375, 8376, and 8374, on their maiden voyage, lead the Z ALTWSP9 21A past the old ATSF location of Zarah on the Emporia Sub in Shawnee, Ks.  5/21/15.
5) - UP manifest heading towards the KCT highline.  Nothing special about the train, but It's rare I catch one on this stretch of track.
6) - A near all EMD lashup rolls the M ATKC 29 along the Missouri River on UP's Metro Sub in Kansas City's West Bottoms towards Neff Yard.  One rotten apple, a GE, second from last, spoils this neat consist of older EMDs.  Three are ex-MP.  Remnants of the day's flooding rains is moving out as the setting sun tries to add some color to a dreary day.  Consist is:  UP 2414, UP 2212, UPY 707, GMTX 2243 (originally DT&I 212), UP 633, UP 8027, and UP 735.

More following...

Date: 07/02/15 19:54

7) - SLRG 551 "Sky View" is part of Iowa Pacific's High Iron Travel Special from St. Louis to Quincy, MO. They spent the night here at Union Station in KC ending their trip from Springfield on the Ft. Scott Sub. Next day, the train traveled to Quincy. This was originally ATSF 551, built by Budd and delivered to the Santa Fe in 1954.
8) - Caritas, with markers lit, was also part of the High Iron Travel Special.  The three private cars on the next house track were not part of the special.  Both photos 8 and 9 taken 5/31/15.
9) - UP 6869 on coal train rolls through Hickory St. crossing in the Bottoms.  I turned it B/W to create a certain moodiness  I like the "wisp" of exhaust caught by the flash.  6/5/15.

Last three coming up....

Date: 07/02/15 19:56

10) - On the way to run an errand in Olathe this past week, I noticed MOW work being done on BNSF's Ft. Scott Sub, which meant traffic would be diverted to and from the Emporia Sub via the connector track in Olathe that runs between the Emporia and Ft. Scott Subs. Sure enough, this n/b manifest was lined up to enter the Emporia Sub in far background.  I've seen s/bs run on the connector, but this is the first time I caught a n/b.  6/17/15.
11) - E/b manifest rounds the curve at Zarah on the Emporia Sub.  This curve is in the backround of photo 4.  6/19/15.
12) - New C4 is end DPU on intermodal heading towards Argentine Yard.  I noticed the PTC antennae farm and was amazed on how many there are.  I know one is for the ETD/FRED.  Another for DP radio.  I wonder if the rest are for PTC itself or ???  Hopefully, someone here in-the-know can explain what the rest are for.  6/24/15.

Thanks for looking!

Russell Honey
Springfield, MO
My Flickr page

Date: 07/02/15 20:03
Author: SP8595

Great series! That UP "snoot" sure looks good!

Date: 07/02/15 20:23
Author: SCKP187

Nice to see you work on here again. Great series of new and unusual consists.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/02/15 20:57
Author: 3rdswitch

The UP snoot as well as the new C4's! Great bunch.
JB

Date: 07/02/15 21:24
Author: David.Curlee

ATSF2921 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 12) - New C4 is end DPU on intermodal heading
> towards Argentine Yard.  I noticed the PTC
> antennae farm and was amazed on how many there
> are.  I know one is for the ETD/FRED.  Another
> for DP radio.  I wonder if the rest are for PTC
> itself or ???  Hopefully, someone here
> in-the-know can explain what the rest are for. 
> 6/24/15.

Of the Sinclair style antennas on the front panel, one is for 160 MHz, two are for 220 MHz.  The smaller ones on the rear panel are two for DPU (450 MHz) and one for EOT (450 MHz). 

BNSF is adding more smaller antennas than UP and I'm not sure whether all are being used.  There are multiple GPS antennas, many cell phone data modem antennas (likely two per carrier for diversity receive), 2.4 GHz Wifi antenna, and I think they use the 900 MHz ISM band for event recorder, and track image recorder downloads.  That may account for a couple more antennas. 

Date: 07/03/15 05:58
Author: santafe199

Good to see you're still kickin'! First class stuff, as usual. I'd say your available light shot shot of KCUS is a slam-dunk IOTD!

Lance

Date: 07/03/15 07:24
Author: BruceStikkers

Great photos and a neat logo for your business.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 07/03/15 14:38
Author: ns1000

GREAT stuff...!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds