Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Workin' at the Train Wash

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/30/15 16:52
Workin' at the Train Wash
Author: ATSF2921

Just a play on words to the classic Rose Royce disco tune "Car Wash" from the movie of the same name.  The song was playing through my head as I watched a trio of locomotives roll through the wash rack at Argentine earlier today.   The other two were CREX 1323 and BNSF 5987, which came out cleaner than the 6620 pictured.  Photo taken Argentine yard in KCK 7/30/15.

No, the employee pictured did not break into a dance.

Yes, I have the song playing through my speakers as I type this.

To borrow a theme from Lance, the song "Car Wash" by Rose Royce was released in 1976 and reached number 1 on Billboard pop and R&B charts.

Can ya dig it?!

Russell Honey
Springfield, MO
My Flickr page

Date: 07/30/15 16:59
Re: Workin' at the Train Wash
Author: donner_dude1

Nice to see BNSF washing their engines. UP could use a few of those wash racks out in the California.

Date: 07/30/15 17:42
Author: StStephen

Great to see locomotives being washed; BNSF out here (CA) looks pretty ragged.  Wonder if there is a cost-effective way to get the trucks back to silver?  And yes, UP sure could use some wash racks....

Bruce

Date: 07/30/15 17:48
Author: sd60m

Does UP ever use that big wash rack they built in Roseville, CA?

Date: 07/30/15 17:59
Author: SantaFeRuss

That Rose Royce album is real good classic Soul music.! "Workin' At The TrainWash" is just a cool take on that song "Car Wash".  "The Boss Don't Mind Sometimes If You Act a Fool, At The Train Wash"! Nice photos and song!

SantaFeRuss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/15 18:36 by SantaFeRuss.

Date: 07/30/15 18:14
Author: gp60

No water in Cali.

Date: 07/30/15 18:56
Author: doctorevil

That wash rack doesn't look like it is doing much good.....

Date: 07/30/15 19:00
Author: wa4umr

You can't wash you cat in California, and that usually takes less than a cup of water.

John

Actually you lift the lid on your toilet, put some soap in the water, throw the can in and stand on the lid.  After a minute you flush to rinse, make sure the path to the nearest door is clear, stand on the toilet tank, open the lid and the cat runs outside and dries.  Sorry cat lovers, I couldn't resist.

Date: 07/30/15 19:25
Author: ddg

The middle part of that 5K building is the crew facility where we went to work and tied up. The van out front is waiting to haul a crew out to their train..

Date: 07/30/15 20:48
Author: MojaveBill

I imagine that loco washers here in Calif would recycle the water...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/30/15 23:57
Author: PHall

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I imagine that loco washers here in Calif would
> recycle the water...

Uhh hello, they've always recycled the water and have for at least the last 10 years or so.
Water is expensive and the "waste" water from the facility has to be treated before it can be released to the sewer.

Date: 07/31/15 03:14
Author: apollo17

StStephen Wrote:
> Wonder if there is a cost-effective way to get the trucks back to
> silver?  And yes, UP sure could use some wash
> racks....
>
> Bruce

I don't know how cost effective it would be, but using a hand operated hot water pressure washer with a heavy duty engine degreaser would probably be the only way to do it. It would get most of the grime off...... enough to let the silver show through, but it there will be stains on the silver paint from oil and road grime from extended use that wont be possible to remove. The only sure way to "pretty" it back up would be to pressure wash it as I mentoined and then re-paint to my way of thinking.

Date: 07/31/15 05:56
Author: SCKP187

That's cool information. I had no idea they still washed units---it sure is a good idea and I'm glad it is done. UP sure needs to run several of their uni8ts through this.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/31/15 06:50
Author: IRP

Great tile and shot! Congratulations on IOTD!

Nolan Majcher
Broadview Heights, OH
Nolan Majcher Photography

Date: 07/31/15 07:02
Author: briancdn

Nice photo! How did you manage to shoot through the fence at that angle off of Goddard viaduct?

Brian N.

Date: 07/31/15 09:06
Author: stevenlsilva

underframe still looks dirty

Date: 07/31/15 12:29
Author: ATSF2921

briancdn Wrote:
> Nice photo! How did you manage to shoot through
> the fence at that angle off of Goddard viaduct?
>
> Brian N.

Thanks, Brian.  I placed my lens as close to the fence as possible without touching it.  You can barely see parts of the fence blurred in the bottom left corner and top right corner.

Russell Honey
Springfield, MO
My Flickr page

Date: 07/31/15 13:46
Author: gaspeamtrak

SSSHHH don't tell Hunter Harrison about washing locomotives his bonus and stock might drop in price if CP did this!!! :D

Date: 07/31/15 14:26
Author: davebb71

what?? dirt = weight. you need all of the tractive effort you can get to haul around 10,000 feet of train. right EHH? dave, out.

Date: 07/31/15 15:08
Author: rag

Was just thinking the other day if the UP did any washing anymore. Years ago they kept there locomotives spiffy clean. It seemed like after they aquired SP the the only clean locos that you would see are either new or fresh from the rebuilder. Do they have any washing facilities at the UP?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0805 seconds