Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Miss Katy & the Eagle joined at the hip!

Date: 08/04/15 09:31
Miss Katy & the Eagle joined at the hip!
Author: santafe199

Here are some very interesting shots of a partnership between a couple of Uncle Pete’s heritage units: MP 1982 & MKT 1988. Apparently there were kept together on purpose, at least throughout October & November of 2005. Topeka resident [& TO member ‘Topeka’] Clif Corn bagged the pair 4 separate times:

1. UP Missouri Pacific 1982 heritage unit leads the ‘Miss KATY’ 1988 heritage unit on an eastbound manifest on October 14, 2005.

2. The 1982 + 1988 again on a westbound manifest on October 25, 2005.

3. The 1982 + 1988 duo one more time eastbound with a manifest in the early morning sun of November 3, 2005.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 09:33 by santafe199.

Date: 08/04/15 09:33
Re: Miss Katy & the Eagle joined at the hip!

Miss KATY gets the last word in! (women usually do, right guys? ;^)

4. UP MKT 1988 heritage unit leads the Mop 1982 heritage unit westbound.
(4 photos by Clif Corn @ Porubsky’s Curve in Topeka, KS)

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Clif Corn (Topeka)

Date: 08/04/15 09:59
Author: BobP

Nice!

Date: 08/04/15 10:01
Author: UPTRAIN

It never got old seeing that pair in tandem.  I used to be able to look at the calendar and tell what days they'd be through Southeast Missouri on the ZYCHOB/IHOYC circa 2005-2006.

Pump

Date: 08/04/15 10:38
Author: tomstp

There is one of those 4 light signals. I always thought those things were odd.  You don't see them in Texas.  I really don't understand the purpose for them.

Date: 08/04/15 10:53
Author: PRose

Great Baggage!!

Bob H.
PRose

Date: 08/04/15 11:57
Author: Out_Of_Service

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is one of those 4 light signals. I always
> thought those things were odd.  You don't see
> them in Texas.  I really don't understand the
> purpose for them.

additional aspects needed for route signaling that a single head. couldn't convey ...

Date: 08/04/15 15:07
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE....!!

Date: 08/04/15 17:50
Author: smudgepot

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is one of those 4 light signals. I always
> thought those things were odd.  You don't see
> them in Texas.  I really don't understand the
> purpose for them.

I think there are a couple in the ft worth area.

Date: 08/04/15 20:10
Author: JoCoLB

The first time I ever saw the two Heritage units was when they were together at Herington, Kan., at night. I waited more than 2 hours to observe them on an inbound train from Wichita and then had to use flash to light them up next to the yard office. I have been able to see them in daylight several times since but never together. 

I see Photo One was taken on Oct. 14, 2005. I'm thinking my nighttime shots were taken the previous night, Oct. 13, 2005. The two units had been acquired by the U.P. just a few months earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 20:13 by JoCoLB.

Date: 08/05/15 08:05
Author: ntharalson

Well, this is nice, and Lance's photos are great, but IMHO, the wrong one's leading!

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 08/05/15 08:31

ntharalson Wrote: > ... and Lance's photos are great...

Nick my friend, nice try with the compliment. But the kudos go to Topeka resident Clif Corn, because all 4 photos are his. Clif has kept a regular watch on the Topeka RR scene down at Porubsky's Curve for many years (and at the UP depot before that). One of my great pleasures in returnning home to Kansas five years ago was knowing I would find him down there and resume a friendship that goes back to circa 1976. It was on my 3rd 'check-in' drive through Porubsky that he was there. Kathi & I were returning home from Kansas City and Clif was parked there in the usual spot. I pulled up so we could yak window-to-window and introduced them to each other. Later I told Kathi how long I've known Clif. "We met in the mid-1970s as model RRer's/photographers, then I had to run off and have a 32-year career in train service..." ;^)

Lance 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds