Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Recommendations - Montana Rail Link

Date: 08/04/15 10:39
Recommendations - Montana Rail Link
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Hello!

In nine days (on 8/13), I'll be leaving Colorado for a four day road trip to Montana. This will be my first experience with Montana Rail Link! Most likely I'll be making a straight shot to Laurel (or there abouts) and start there. All day Friday and most of Saturday will be devoted to MRL. I need to be back in Denver by 5pm Sunday, so Saturday night I'll probably stay in Gillette, WY or perhaps even head down to Bill, WY and spend some time in the Powder River Basin on Sunday.

This being my first trip to MRL, anybody have suggestions? Any "must visit" spots? Locals (toward the east end) that I should look out for? Radio frequencies? I will probably go at least as far west as Bozeman...possibly as far as Missoula. I doubt I will have the time (or want to spend the gas money) going further west than that.

think I remember reading in the past that MRL employees are generally extremely friendly and happy to share information. Am I remembering correctly and, if I am, is that still the case?

Thanks in advance! First multi-day train chasing road trip I've been on since 2012, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 10:41 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 08/04/15 11:09
Re: Recommendations - Montana Rail Link
Author: F40PHR231

I would encourage to at least aim for Mullan Pass just west of Helena. 

If you happen to find yourself passing through Butte, be sure to check out its historic district.

Date: 08/04/15 11:13
Author: MWP

Lots of maintenance going right now so action might be spotty. Last week they were lengthening a siding and doing bridge work east of Belegrade.   Livingston is always a great place to hang out while you wait.  There are a few new craft breweries with open air seating and views of the tracks and yard.  Also a nice brick oven pizza place across the street from the Depot which is a must see.  Even if traffic is in a holding pattern, you will get some local switching in the yard.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 11:13 by MWP.

Date: 08/04/15 12:02

Thanks guys. I hadn't considered MOW, so thanks for mentioning that Mark. I guess that would lead to a followup qestion: how many trains are running in daylight on average right now? (I understand that you are probably making a guess, but even a guess is appreciated).

I don't really want to drive 650 miles to see empty rails...starting to reconsidered my destination...

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 12:28 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 08/04/15 12:14
Author: MWP

I couldnt come up with a guess for you.  I was out there with family so my railfanning was limited to a long morning in Livingston, about six trips through Bozeman Pass, a drive over to Logan, and hearing the train whistles through Bozeman.  I saw and heard plenty of trains so I dont think you would get shutout, you just might have to work a little.  I would say traffic is pretty decent and the wheat harvest is starting to go all out which means grain trains and helpers. 

In my opinion, you can never go wrong with Montana!

Mark

Date: 08/04/15 19:10
Author: jc76

There will be trains.... Mullan Pass has been busy from about 3 pm onward.... Making for busy afternoons....

There may not even be a window on Sat..... I actually like the windows. It usually makes for busy mornings or afternoons..... I'd be more worried about smoke than trains, if your there for pics......

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 19:12 by jc76.

Date: 08/04/15 19:24
Author: fbe

Logan west of Livingston and Bozeman is a good place to be late morning even if there are work windows. The 841 local with GP35s works Livingston for a while, heads to Logan to set out and pick up loads for its Livingston return. The 844 local with a pair of GP35s originates in Logan then runs west to Sappington, Three Forks, Harrison or Whitehall depending upon business. The 840 local leaves Helena for Logan in the afternoon and switches at Townsend on the way. Current power is an SD45 and an ACe.

Livingston helpers are always interesting.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/05/15 07:43

Thanks for the feedback!

Look like I am still Montana-bound, at least for right now.

Upon conducting a search for MRL radio frequencies, I found the following:

160.335 Channel 1-Road (AAR 15-15)
160.950 Channel 2-Road (AAR 56-56)
160.395 Channel 3-Yard Switch (AAR 19-19)
160.380-160.950 Channel 4-Blossburg Tunnel (AAR 18-56)
160.545-161.130 Channel 5-MRAS (AAR 29-68)
161.340 Channel 6-MofW (AAR 82-82)
160.245-161.490 Channel 7-MRAS (AAR 09-92)
160.830-161.355 Channel 8-MRAS (AAR 48-83)
161.385-160.815 Channel 9-MRAS (AAR 85-47)

Can anybody confirm whether or not these are still correct?

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 08/05/15 20:11
Author: Pwolfgram

Kevin
Work window just east of Belgrade has been M-F with the weekend off.  The do break some mid days to let traffic pass.  The crane and pile drive duck into a pocket track in Belgrade.  Once the work window lifts it is usually non stop both ways.  Listen to AAR 15 (160.335) which is the East Dispatcher.  Sky has been clear of smoke except for 1 day this week but we have had afternoon thundershower.  Next week is suppose to be clear and warm so should be good for pictures around here.  Traffic to Harrison from Logan has been on an as needed by the Harrison Elevator basis.  Beautiful branch line and probably the only one in the US with 5 cattle gates to open and close.  Have fun and be safe
Peter W
Belgrade, MT

Date: 08/05/15 20:18
Author: mtnwestrail

Along with the info here there is quite a bit in the archives of the MRL Yahoo Group and also the MRL groups on Facebook which you have probably already found.

Paul Birkholz
Sheridan, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds