Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The New Backyard

Date: 08/25/15 08:26
The New Backyard
Author: es44fan

A few days ago, I officially moved to Salem, OR for college. One major plus for me is that my dorm room looks right over the Salem, OR Amtrak station and the UP Brooklyn Subdivision, making it easy for me to just work in my room and watch the trains as they roll by. But if I want to photograph a few trains, it's just a two minute walk to the station. Over the past few days, I've photographed a few trains that I've seen to start my railfan experience in Oregon.

1: Amtrak 11 arrives into the Salem Amtrak station in the mid afternoon.
2: ​​At around 6:30 AM, Amtrak Cascades #500 rolls into Salem in the early morning light.
3: The ZLCBR flies through Salem on it's last part of the trip to Portland.

There's more...​​

Date: 08/25/15 08:29
Re: The New Backyard
Author: es44fan

4: A nice surprise for me. UP welcomed me to Salem by having UP 7964 (5000th GEVO) on the consist of the ZLCBR.
5: A northbound freight rolls by the Mill Street crossing in the night.​

Thanks for looking!!

Date: 08/25/15 08:50
Author: SP8595

Great series capped off by that Fantastic night shot! Looking forward to seeing more Great pics. from your new backyard:}

Date: 08/25/15 10:34
Author: davebb71

and now get back to the books. if I would have been a fully active railfan taking train pictures during college, I would have probably flunked out. :-) dave, out.

Date: 08/25/15 13:00
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff....!!

Enjoy college........and the trains.......:<)

Date: 08/25/15 14:58
Author: exhaustED

Wow, that's worked out very nicely for you - great little station too! Try to get some work done occasionally! :-)

Date: 08/25/15 15:27
Author: funnelfan

The yard is a few blocks to the south of the station. Good place to hang out in the morning and watch them sort out the days work. Not quite as much fun as watching a pair of SD9's kicking cars, but still worthwhile..

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/25/15 18:16
Author: smu

Yes, love the night shot!!!  I did this video the first of June . . . Just out your window.  Did you request a track side dorm room or did it just work out that way.  Willamete U is a great school. 

Steve Utley
Salem, OR

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/25/15 23:03
Author: Coalca

Pretty stellar you can look out the window and see the trains. Before ya know it you're gonna have the Brooklyn sub train schedule down pat.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds