Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > GE Demo's on the Front Range Sub.

Date: 08/27/15 21:17
GE Demo's on the Front Range Sub.
Author: SP8595

At the same time that I was finishing up with work early this afternoon, I spotted the four GE Demo's (GECX 2041, 2042 and rear DPU's 2040 and 2043) heading North out of Denver on BNSF's Front Range Subdivision. After the train waited for over an hour for a Southbound Windmill train to head past it at Rennix Yard, the empty coal train finally departed.

1)Having just crossed the UP diamond at Utah Junction, the train is following the new Denver Light Rail line that heads from Union Station out to Golden. At this location, the light rail line curves away from the Front Range Sub. and will head West to follow Union Pacific's Moffat Tunnel Line for a short distance. As to what the thing is with the piece of rail on the wheel buggy, I have no idea!

2)Passing Lower Church Lake as the train approaches Broomfield, it was not only raining at this location but rain showers are seen falling in the Foothills back behind the train as well.

Two More Pictures Posted Below...............................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 21:44 by SP8595.

Date: 08/27/15 21:18
Re: GE Demo's on the Front Range Sub.
Author: SP8595

I haven't been up to shoot trains on the Front Range Sub. in years and after driving around in circles in some Horrendous rush hour traffic (Denver's traffic sure seems to be turning as bad as LA's gridlock!) I called TO member "FrontRangeTrains" looking for some help. After driving him nuts by calling at least 10 times in the span of 5 minutes, I "threw in the towel" and started the long trek back to the other side of town. However, John sent me a well timed update that the train was on the move again so I went searching for the tracks and stumbled onto this overpass just South of the town of Louisville. Just nothing but dumb luck:}

3 and 4)Coming and going views of the train as it rolls into Louisville. As to the grasshopper mural thing, I also have no idea! But hey, at least the colors somewhat matched the blue on the engines:}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 21:26 by SP8595.

Date: 08/28/15 00:52
Author: SD45X

Yeah, ain't no fun driving up there anymore.:)

Date: 08/28/15 02:55
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice catches, John! Could the rail thing in Photo #1 be for transporting the rail until they're ready to lay it on the ties?

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 08/28/15 04:04
Author: sparky52t

LOL the 'grasshopper mural' thing! Thanks for anticipating my question! 

And thanks for sharing. 

Date: 08/28/15 04:19
Author: FrontRangeTrains

You need to come up here more often :] Nice shots, John and you even got some sun at Louisville too!

John Crisanti
Longmont, CO

Date: 08/28/15 06:26
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice bunch.
JB

Date: 08/28/15 07:10
Author: dendavis

"I haven't been up to shoot trains on the Front Range Sub. in years and after driving around in circles in some Horrendous rush hour traffic (Denver's traffic sure seems to be turning as bad as LA's gridlock!)"

Glad you stayed the course and hung tough, the photo essay was well worth it.

As to Denver vs. LA traffic, a recent story in the Denver media noted that Denver ranks "only #49" nationally, while L.A. is #2 (D.C. "wins").  Having recently moved back to Denver, after living in southern CA for fifty years, the only thing that prepared me for Denver traffic was L.A. traffic.  Maybe Denver ranks lower numerically, but tell that to the folks sitting still on Interstate 25, or 70 or..... the beat(ing) goes on.

Date: 08/28/15 08:36
Author: highgreengraphics

Nice photos, grasshoppa... === === = === JLH

Date: 08/28/15 09:02
Author: Ritzville

Nice shots! I miss the Big Blues rolling thru my backyard. Saw many of them for several months before they moved on.

Larry

Date: 08/28/15 09:52
Author: Cajon92

Very nice series! 

~Ryan

Date: 08/28/15 14:03
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!! Thanks.....

Date: 08/28/15 15:07
Author: upkpfan

John,
Good pics. upkpfan

Date: 08/29/15 08:57
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, John!

Randy Lundgren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds