Home Open Account Help 154 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Amtrak 5 & 6 at Donner Today

Date: 08/29/15 20:01
Amtrak 5 & 6 at Donner Today
Author: comawhyt

I hiked up to the summit tunnel this afternoon on a very windy day at Donner.  I was lucky enough to see Amtrak #5 and #6 within 10 minutes of each other.  #5 was running 4 hours 45 minutes late to Truckee, and #6 was 30 minutes late to Truckee.  Within just 5 minutes of getting to the tunnel, a UP freight came about (I cut that video down as it was a very long train).  Some other hiker's got the tunnel enterance view for the freight.  I feel I had a good day to see both Zephyr's so close together, and a freight all within 30 minutes.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/29/15 20:18
Re: Amtrak 5 & 6 at Donner Today
Author: SPB

Nice shots, thanks for positng them.  For Donner, you saw a good amount of train activity in a short time.  The eastbound Zephyr seemed unually long with three units and a dozen cars.  Must be summertime loadings?

It's a tough hike coming up Lakeview Canyon to the summit tunnel, you must be in terrific shape.

SPB

Date: 08/29/15 20:19
Author: BobDempsey

Six sleepers on #6?  What was that?

Date: 08/29/15 21:21
Author: brc600

How much of this was double-tracked and should be again? What track is missing on Donner?

There was no dorm car on #5.  What is the train density there?  Great shots!

TIM

comawhyt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hiked up to the summit tunnel this afternoon on
> a very windy day at Donner.  I was lucky enough
> to see Amtrak #5 and #6 within 10 minutes of each
> other.  #5 was running 4 hours 45 minutes late to
> Truckee, and #6 was 30 minutes late to Truckee.
>  Within just 5 minutes of getting to the tunnel,
> a UP freight came about (I cut that video down as
> it was a very long train).  Some other hiker's
> got the tunnel enterance view for the freight.  I
> feel I had a good day to see both Zephyr's so
> close together, and a freight all within 30
> minutes.

Date: 08/29/15 21:36
Author: SPB

From Shed 47, a couple of miles east of the tunnel (#41) to Norden is single track, a total distance of about five miles. The original #1 track built as part of the transcontinental railroad in the late 1860s has been removed. All traffic now goes through the tunnel. Looking at the tunnel portal you can see the ROW for the original line where it passed above the tunnel. Not likely it will be reinstalled, but one never knows.

SPB

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/15 21:37 by SPB.

Date: 08/29/15 21:49
Author: comawhyt

If you go on to Google Earth and zoom in on this proximity (39°18'04.16N  120°17'59.50W) you can see where the old line ran, and where the "Hole" begins/ends of the main line.

Date: 08/30/15 08:02
Author: Doodle

An interesting side note. I saw the #5 pass that stacker on track 2, both going track speed in Newcastle about 530pm from I80. Never seen that before, even the wife thought that was cool.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/30/15 08:23
Author: strench707

I'm curious about the six sleepers too.  How did such an imbalance get out west and then all get shipped back east at once?  Maybe a large group reservation?

Davis

Date: 08/30/15 10:15
Author: sptno

Excellent shots, thanks for sharing.
Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 08/30/15 12:35
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds