Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > DPU question

Date: 09/01/15 08:26
DPU question
Author: boesrailfan

Does the use of dpu's allow fewer locomotives to be used on a train, or does it just make more efficient use (acceleration, braking, etc) of the the same number that would normally be required to move a train? Thx.

Date: 09/01/15 08:35
Re: DPU question
Author: Coalca

Generally it allows the train to proceed with one less unit. A train requiring 4x0 before can usually run 2x1. (2 in front, one dpu).

With the DPU pushing on the rear, a significant amount of train-line flange drag is eliminated. It also eliminates Much of the weight on the front drawbars. Airing the train up from both ends is also advantageous. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/15 08:51 by Coalca.

Date: 09/01/15 09:25
Author: cascadehogger

Depends on territory. On our hill over the cascade line, it boils down to tons per powered axle. What may have taken 4 units to get over the hill, still takes 4 units.

Date: 09/01/15 10:07
Author: PHall

Isn't the biggest savings the fact that you only need one crew and not two?

Date: 09/01/15 10:29
Author: Pacific5th

It also reduces the ammont of HPT needed for hills and such. For example conventional trains taking the ex-NP Low Line out of Spokane need 1.4 (mabey 1.6?) HPT to get up the hill to Marshall. With DP units I have done it at 1.1HPT.

Date: 09/01/15 11:46
Author: cascadehogger

UP did away with HP per ton because it's not as accurate as tons per equivalant powered axle.  One of the few things I agree with that UP did. A train with 3 GP40-2s would have the same HP per ton as 3 SD40-2s, but less EPA.

A few of the benefits I like about DPU is the fact that I can accelerate faster from a stop, and have another automatic brake valve cutin back there for chraging the train back up. 

Date: 09/01/15 11:51
Author: portlander

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't the biggest savings the fact that you only
> need one crew and not two?

Fuel savings is also a huge factor.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds