Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday; Skittles, Anyone?

Date: 09/01/15 14:59
Toto Tuesday; Skittles, Anyone?
Author: CP_M260

Over the weekend, I caught wind of a UP grain shuttle - GSGVAV29 (Grain Shuttle - Galveston, TX - Avon, IA) - with an 'unusual' consist. The train was to run 4X0 (all power on the head end), with the CP 8950, BNSF 9295, UP 1989 & FXE 4667. After the train got rolling, I was able to gather enough info to form a tentative time scale when I could shoot the train. As luck would have it, the train made up time on its trip North, and was only about 180 miles South of me at Noon on Monday. Being free of any pressing obligations, I ventured South to try and intercept the train at a couple of locales in the great state of Kansas. I first caught the train at the small town of Le Roy, and headed back North to try and shoot the train from the sidewalk of 'the' overpass in downtown Osawatomie, KS. 

The train ended up making a set out/pick up at the yard in Osawatomie, and as the train was building air to depart, the DS came over the radio and said he had been handed some 'paperwork' stating the crew would need to add a unit for cab signals. The dispatcher told the crew they were adding the "UP 6-4-0-4 North." After a few minutes of waiting, the crew came back over the radio and told the DS that they couldn't find any '6000 series motor in the yard.' Out of curiosity, I made a quick check of the UP 6404 on the phone trace, and discovered it had just departed Kimball, NE - a mere 900 some odd miles from Osawatomie. Shortly after the original conversation, the crew toned up the dispatcher and said that they had found a UP 4604 - the dispatcher replied - "...that'll work well enough." After the new unit was added to the point, the train was given a favorable signal, and it rolled North out of town, after any 'useable' light was gone. 

Shooting the same train with two different lead units, only 40 miles apart is a first for me, but both consists were worth the trip!

1. CP 8950 & friends roll North through the town of Le Roy, KS - passing one of the 6 grade crossings in town
2. Almost four hours after photo 1, UP 4604 is now in charge of the empty grain train as it leaves the town of Osawatomie behind, headed for a crew change in 'Kay Cee'

Thanks for looking,
-Dalton 

Date: 09/01/15 16:04
Re: Toto Tuesday; Skittles, Anyone?
Author: PasadenaSub

Colorful lashup and a funny story!

Rich

Date: 09/01/15 19:53
Author: SCKP187

Neat story and I like your shots as well. Beautiful downtown LeRoy is a neat place to shoot. I would have chased it that far if I knew you were in the area to say hi!
This train had some failures in Coffeyville also---1' delay account inspected, no bad-orders, then couldn't raise the DS to notify him and another hour delay when a train in front of them developed air problems. Thanks for showing your shots.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/01/15 19:55
Author: SP8595

Incredible consist and Great shots of it. As a side note, UP 6404 is an ex-Southern Pacific AC4400CW that does not even have cab signal equipment!

Date: 09/02/15 12:17
Author: Torisgod

Definitely nominated for Lashup Of The Year! (a competition that I just invented just now)

Tor in Eugene

Date: 09/02/15 12:25
Author: ns1000

GREAT lashup indeed.....!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds