Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday: Passenger Trn on the KP--Sort of . . .

Date: 09/01/15 17:01
Toto Tuesday: Passenger Trn on the KP--Sort of . . .
Author: SCKP187

First up is UP 5357-7022 and DPU UP 7328 glideing throught the S-curve at MP 168 between Solomon KS and Abilene KS August 26 2015, currently known as the east end of Ike Siding (9300 ft), with coal destined for interchange at Memphis TN.
Back in the day, until 1972ish, this location was known as Sand Spring--a 29 car siding that followed the S-curve with the east and west switch barely on straight track. No footage was ever listed in timetables as the length was based on 40ft. cars. In the declining years of passenger service, I know of a few times westbound #9 City of StLouis would be forced to head into this siding to clear up for eastbound time freight #154 as the freight was being considered more important than passenger trains at the time, hand lined switches at both ends.
Later in the day I went to Wamego KS to check out the UP caboose and other RR artifacts and found this UP Childrens Train in the City Park. The volunteer doing some maintenance work told me the train was built by non-rails in Wamego.  Plumbers, electricians and other vocations plus the help of the local machine shop put this together for the enjoyment of the town and children. Powered by golf cart batteries and electric motor, they get about 2 hours of run time with the train fully loaded before needing to recharge the batteries.

Date: 09/01/15 17:04
Re: Toto Tuesday: Passenger Trn on the KP--Sort of . . .

4.&5.    UP 1866 Childrens Train Wamego KS
6.          3 rail system they use to eliminate a switch  when the train makes a return loop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/15 19:35 by SCKP187.

Date: 09/01/15 17:06

7.    1 way switch for shoving the train back into the barn at end of day.
Thanks for looking
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/01/15 17:32
Author: dan

thanks my great grandmother macinich? lived there between the tracks and the river, i would run towards the tracks when i heard a train and watch the yellow flash, highlight was when my mom and i flagged the train there, well the agent did...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 07:42 by dan.

Date: 09/01/15 17:49
Author: Ritzville

Nice shots Brian! Brings back old memories of riding the SP daylight train in Balboa Park in the early to mid 1950's. The one in Balboa Park is still there and is slightly bigger than the UP kids train.

Larry

Date: 09/01/15 17:52
Author: upkpfan

Brian,
Good catch as I've never seen or heard of this little train. upkpfan

Date: 09/01/15 20:04
Author: SP8595

Nice shots of that miniature UP train Brian, looks very sharp!

Date: 09/02/15 03:38
Author: dcfbalcoS1

The people in Enid, Oklahoma did their switches the same way. They could not figure out how to maintain the spring points so did this, unfortunately they spent a huge sum of money on that extra rail in the three rail sections.

Date: 09/02/15 09:40
Author: switchlock

Sand Springs is the first place I ever caught 8444 (at the time) at speed.  I've been by there many times over the years.

Date: 09/02/15 10:54
Author: wag216

Some time back, the railroad was 12' and had an Ottoway 4-4-0. Started on live steam and late, powered with gasoline motor in the tender. wag216

Date: 09/04/15 13:42
Author: JoCoLB

Thanks for the pictures, Brian. I stopped by there a few weeks ago but the train was in the shed. L.B.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds