Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > GE Demos on the Joint Line again . .

Date: 09/02/15 09:00
GE Demos on the Joint Line again . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.  .  .  looked out the window this morning just out of bed and spotted the set of GE demos that have been assigned to a coal train passing through Palmer Lake, CO, located along the joint UP BNSF Joint Line main. With info that this MIGHT be their last trip, at least on this particular train, quickly dressed and took off in pursuit catching them passing through Larspur (top) then approaching Castle Rock (middle) and the DP's going away towards Castle Rock (bottom). Just another quick start to another beautiful day in the neighborhood.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 09:00 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 09/02/15 09:35
Re: GE Demos on the Joint Line again . .
Author: highgreengraphics

Very nice shots! I wonder if these will make it up the Front Range or go via Sterling. The past couple of times it didn't seem like BNSF knew itself until the last minute, because they showed going through Sterling when they were in Fort Collins! === === = === JLH

Date: 09/02/15 10:01
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice shots, John! Hopefully we'll get a few more chances to catch these units in Colorado...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 09/02/15 10:52
Author: ockahuna

Great shots, JB.

Date: 09/02/15 12:32
Author: ns1000

ockahuna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots, JB.

AGREED....!!

Date: 09/02/15 15:35
Author: motorcar2

All of the pictures are very nice. Living on a farm all of my life #2 is my favorite with
the train, cows, and the buildings. Bryan L.

Date: 09/02/15 15:44
Author: SD45X

EAMHNAM

Date: 09/02/15 16:16
Author: BigSkyBlue

A "Great Northern" sign on the handrails would look really good on these.  :)     BSB 

Date: 09/02/15 17:17
Author: Evan_Werkema

Nice work, Joe! 

There's a thread over on the passenger board that cites an August 31 article in the LA Times about Metrolink looking into Tier 4 power.  The article quotes BNSF spokewoman Lena Kent talking about the Tier 4 power they've tried:

"Some Tier 4 engines are being tested for freight service at Union Pacific Corp. and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Co., two of the nation's largest carriers. Lena Kent, a spokesperson for BNSF, said the railroad's prototypes have 'experienced operating issues,' but she declined to elaborate. 'We look forward to continuing to test these locomotives and phasing them in when the technology proves to be operationally reliable for freight transportation,' Kent said."

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-california-commute-20150901-story.html

Some teething troubles are inevitable with new technology, but I wonder what sorts of issues they are having.  The quote almost sounds like it was made some months ago, as the arrival of BNSF-painted T4's suggests they've gone beyond the test phase.  Are the big blue prototypes still field testing Tier 4 components, or have they graduated to full fledged demonstrators or lease units?

Date: 09/03/15 04:44
Author: oklachaser

Great catch & photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 09/03/15 09:34
Author: SP8595

Nice adding the cows in #2 and the birds on the wire in #3:}

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds