Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Depot Friday: Strong City in that Super light

Date: 10/02/15 08:39
Depot Friday: Strong City in that Super light
Author: santafe199

This past Sunday (27th) was a big day for us amateur astronomy fans. The monthly full moon would be in one of its periodic “Super Moon” phases. This is where the Moon’s orbit brings it into its closest approach to Earth. During this particular Super Moon we were also treated to a full Lunar Eclipse during the evening!

It was a big event for all “star-gazers” & photographers, including many of us railfans. I had chosen my old Santa Fe working territory to go shoot the moon, as it were. But I wanted to make a whole day of it. It was my goal during the 24 hour, calendar day to shoot the moon-set/sunrise combo in the early hours. Then I would put in a normal day of railfanning, followed by the sunset/moonrise/eclipse grand finale.

The former Santa Fe depot in String City, KS is where I began my day. I knew the depot had undergone complete renovation. And up to this point I had shot several trackside images of the building with new lighting from both interior from exterior sources. New to my experience was the pole-mounted flood lighting on the opposite side of the building, that is: away from the track. Toss in a Super Moon and we have another Depot Friday nominee…

1. AT&SF depot (newly renovated) in Strong City, KS @ 0536 on September 27, 2015.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 10/02/15 09:08
Re: Depot Friday: Strong City in that Super light
Author: JoCoLB

One of your best photos ever. Planning always pays.

Date: 10/02/15 09:49
Re: Depot Friday: Strong City in that Super light
Author: santafe199

JoCoLB Wrote:  > ...Planning always pays.

Thank you, Sir! But other than just planning out the day in general, I can't take any credit for planning this Strong City scene. I spotted the flood lit scene while driving the back (railfan) way through town and thought I'd better stop for a shoot-around. I was actually on my way down to "camp out" at Ellinor for the duration of the moon-set/sunrise. I was hoping to get some train blur-action, but no trains ever showed up.

Lance/199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/15 09:50 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds