Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Old UP Roundhouse Shines In Morning Sun

Date: 10/02/15 21:40
Old UP Roundhouse Shines In Morning Sun
Author: walstib

The light was sweet this morning after I had breakfast in Evanston, Wyoming, so I sent the drone up for a few shots of the old Union Pacific roundhouse and steam-era buildings.

The roundhouse is now an event center for the city. About half of the building has been restored.

The building in the lower left is the old machine shop, which has been nicely restored and is available for events.

The power house in the upper right is still awaiting restoration.

The two smaller wood buildings on the left between the roundhouse and machine shop are the old men's locker room and superintendent's office. 

The UP mainline is off to the far right, and the local on the yard tracks was just beginning work when I snapped this shot this morning.

The white building off in the distance is a tank car repair firm.

Date: 10/02/15 22:07
Re: Old UP Roundhouse Shines In Morning Sun
Author: MojaveBill

Are there any plans to park RR equipment on the tracks on the site?

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/02/15 23:11
Author: Odyssey

Nice aerial image! ... Evanston has done a great job in trying to preserve their railroad heritage!  For anyone cruisin' I-80 through southern WY, it is worth the time to exit the Interstate blur and wander through downtown Evanston and view the classic yard structures close up, plus the downtown has several historic buildings ... the actual Evanston Depot is also worth a visit!  There be a lot of UP history in the vicinity ...

Thanks for the post!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 10/03/15 06:24
Author: tomstp

Super picture.

Date: 10/03/15 06:32
Author: nathan314

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any plans to park RR equipment on the
> tracks on the site?

They've got a couple of cars just out of the bottom of the photo.  IIRC, a streamstyled diner, a crane, and a cupola caboose, all UP.  They've also got two grounded box cars, one of which is outside braced car that had its wood sides replaced with steel.  They're also one of several places mentioned (and probably the most serious) that could receive UP 2-10-2 #5511, which has been stored in Cheyenne for 40+ years.

Nathan Beauheim
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/03/15 08:55
Author: zephyrus

Bravo Evanston!!  Great to see!

Z

Date: 10/03/15 14:58
Author: DNRY122

It's been over 35 years since I went through Evanston on the Dog Tired Tour (El Monte to Boston on Greyhound Lines) but I recall seeing a heavyweight passenger car near downtown that was home to a model RR club.  Is my memory playing tricks, or is (or was) there such a preserved car?

Date: 10/03/15 16:14
Author: ns1000

NIIIIIIIIIICE....!!

Date: 10/03/15 18:02
Author: Bob3985

That tank car repair facility used to be located in the old roundhouse before buildiung the new facility to the west.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/03/15 21:23
Author: CPRR

Great looking area. Maybe UP steam could move there, minus DL

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/04/15 12:48
Author: Realist

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great looking area. Maybe UP steam could move
> there, minus DL
>
> Posted from iPhone

Nah.  Like Cheyenne, it's "totally unsuited for the maintenance and repair
of steam locomotives."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1661 seconds