Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Recent Redding.CA.....

Date: 10/03/15 06:37
Recent Redding.CA.....
Author: Alien

Here is a few shots from around Redding, CA from August 2015.....

Picture 1  UP 8008 rolling very slow north through downtown as grade crossing repairs were being made on Yuba St...
Picture 2  UP 8008 climbing up grade over Hwy 151 in the City of Shasta Lake 10 minutes after Picture 1 headed towards Dunsmuir from the Redding area...I beat this big freight here, by 2 minutes! 
Picture 3  UP track gang working the Yuba St grade crossing repair job and unsure as to why I was photographing them...funny on their looks and expressions...don't worry guy's
just a rail fan in action...! Photo dates 8/17/2015/Alien

Date: 10/03/15 06:43
Re: Recent Redding.CA.....

Additional photos from the track repair sequence...Aug 2015

Picture 1 UP Track Inspector Hi-Rail just entered the tracks on Placer St..
Picture 2 UP 1097 Local - 1st Train over the new grade crossing at 20 mph...headed towards the trestle...
Picture 3 UP 1097 Local and all eyes on me....I guess they don't see too many rail fans in this area...

Date: 10/03/15 06:59

I have no idea how the 1st picture is overlayed into another................weird!

Anyways,,I decided to head up to O'Brien's at Tunnel 7 on my next trip to Redding on 8/26/2015.
Picture 1 Luckily track crews left a big pile of ballast in this spot as I did not have my ladder this trip...nice shot of Tunnel 6 and Tunnel 7...
Picture 2 UP 8076 uphill from Redding towards Dunsmuir smokin' through Tunnel 6...
Picture 3 UP 8076 pushing air ahead as it roars through Tunnel 7...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/15 09:03 by Alien.

Date: 10/03/15 07:04

...Followed 5 minutes later by UP 8412...

Picture 1  UP 8412 headlight just peeking out after roaring through Tunnel 6...
Picture 2 UP 8412 Tunnel blasting out of 7...
Picture 3 UP 8412 trailing smoke after clearing Tunnel 7...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/15 09:04 by Alien.

Date: 10/03/15 07:39
Author: Out_Of_Service

Alien Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a few shots from around Redding, CA from
> August 2015.....

> Picture 3  UP track gang working the Yuba St
> grade crossing repair job and unsure as to why I
> was photographing them...funny on their looks and
> expressions...don't worry guy's
> just a rail fan in action...! Photo dates
> 8/17/2015/Alien

in their minds you could possibly be a rules compliance officer looking for violations and again in their minds they don't wanna deal with any BS ... been there done that ...

in my days back in the late 80s doing grade crossing rehab on 52 crossings, my crew and i were always leary of bystanders ... there was good reason for us to be leary which i won't go into for the crew to think that way ...

as for the tunnel shots ... WAY COOL !!! with the long lense view of the roller coaster RofW between the 2 tunnels ...

Date: 10/03/15 07:41
Author: Josiah

Alien Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Additional photos from the track repair
> sequence...Aug 2015
>
> Picture 1 UP Track Inspector Hi-Rail just entered
> the tracks on Placer St..

Appears to be a "maintainer" or signal dept. man, look at the crossing arms on the rack.

Date: 10/03/15 08:27
Author: sundance

I thought the tunnels were numbered in ascending order from the first one just north of Gray Rocks. That would make tunnel #8 really #6.

Steve

Date: 10/03/15 09:02

Ooooooooops, I think you are correct Sundance.... John R Signor's "Southern Pacific Shasta Division" book confirms. My bad.!

Date: 10/03/15 16:51
Author: Out_Of_Service

at second glance it looks like rail braces on the track closest to the camera ...

Date: 10/04/15 04:51

"in their minds you could possibly be a rules compliance officer looking for violations and again in their minds they don't wanna deal with any BS ... been there done that ... 
in my days back in the late 80s doing grade crossing rehab on 52 crossings, my crew and i were always leary of bystanders ... there was good reason for us to be leary which i won't go into for the crew to think that way ... "

Ok, I though the guy on the right w/hands in his pockets was a crew foreman checking them out - but a mgmt snoopervisor in plain view w/ a camera might be too obvious
thanks for the comments...Alien

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/15 04:51 by Alien.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds