Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Eugene, OR and Coos Bay Rail Link - affirmations / questions

Date: 10/03/15 15:19
Eugene, OR and Coos Bay Rail Link - affirmations / questions
Author: Press25

I'll be in Eugene for a an afternoon and a morning, and then headed west to a weekend on the coast to the north of the CBRL line.

(So as not to incur wrath and flame, I dutifully did several searches on TO to see what I could find before I posted this.) 

A recent post showed the CBRL west out of Eugene at 1130.  A more dated post showed the CBRL east into Eugene at about 1400.  Is the 1130-ish departure for points west typical of operations these days, or is it catch as catch can?

Also, some older posts referenced a PNWR local that heads north and does some street running through Junction City typically around 0900h.  Is this still reasonably valid?

I'll have the Better Half with me, so there won't be any rambling about, hence the targeted questions.

Any affirrmations, guidance, advice and information is greatly appreciated!

Press 25

Date: 10/03/15 15:31
Re: Eugene, OR and Coos Bay Rail Link - affirmations / questions
Author: CBRL

I live in Northwest Eugene and this is what I have noticed: Coos Bay trains head west from the Eugene Yard in the afternoons, but not every day.  PNWR switchers work up and down Highway 99 from Beltline Highway north handling mill traffic most every day and evening.  There is a PNWR Albany Hauler that leaves any time between 18:30 and 20:30 and runs right through Junction City and usually stops at the large mill at American on the way to Albany.  Not much help I know but if anyone knows more I would welcome it.

Tom

Date: 10/03/15 15:50
Author: roustabout

CBRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  I live in Northwest Eugene and this is what I
> have noticed: Coos Bay trains head west from the
> Eugene Yard in the afternoons, but not every
> day.  PNWR switchers work up and down Highway 99
> from Beltline Highway north handling mill traffic
> most every day and evening.  There is a PNWR
> Albany Hauler that leaves any time between 18:30
> and 20:30 and runs right through Junction City and
> usually stops at the large mill at American on the
> way to Albany.  Not much help I know but if
> anyone knows more I would welcome it.
>
> Tom

PNWR's American Turn departs Eugene to switch customers between Junction City and the paper mill near Halsey every week day.  But, they usually only go to the paper mill Mon, Wed & Fri. The Albany Hauler picks up and sets out at American siding; it does not switch the mill itself.  During seed season, which I think is over, the Albany Hauler will switch spurs at Potter, Fayetteville, Verdure and Hwy 34 (Corvallis Feed).  The Verdure spot is switched southbound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/15 15:53 by roustabout.

Date: 10/03/15 21:00
Author: bbcc

When you say "There is a PNWR Albany Hauler that leaves any time between 18:30 and 20:30", where do you mean it leaves from? Thanks

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/04/15 03:33
Author: funnelfan

bbcc Wrote:
> When you say "There is a PNWR Albany Hauler that
> leaves any time between 18:30 and 20:30", where do
> you mean it leaves from? Thanks

That would be Eugene.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/04/15 07:11
Author: bbcc

funnelfan Wrote:

>
> That would be Eugene.

Ok, where in eugene? They dont come in to the UP yard...do they have their own yard or "base" that they depart from? Pardon my ignorance.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/04/15 08:48
Author: CBRL

I don't know where they depart from in the evening but they do have a yard and office near Roosevelt and Highway 99.  I hear them on the radio when they get their orders but usually am not able to catch them since I get up a 4:00 am and bedtime is 8:00 pm.  There is also a UP train that goes up to Albany in the evening that has a PNWR crew I believe.

Date: 10/05/15 12:07
Author: mopac1978

My past experience photographing the PNWR American turn is that it would show up at Junction City around 9am, switch the mills or whatever the businesses were that are at the south end of town, and then head north on the street trackage usually around 10am, some days a little later, some a little earlier.  This American job doesn't switch any of the lumber mills or other business in Eugene itself, they have a local job that does that, usually with the Black Widow-painted GP (1801 I believe).  That local goes to work after the American job leaves, and can usually be found alongside Hwy 99 near the airport and back toward Eugene during the middle part of the day.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds