Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Downtown Local

Date: 10/07/15 17:41
Downtown Local
Author: twjurgens

Had the good fortune to catch the BNSF switching a couple of the downtown Lincoln, NE industries today.  I'd seen it coming into the yard before but not working so burned a bunch of pixels! In the first view, 2701 is headed south under the Rosa Parks Freeway overpass.  The train was a box car, 4 flats of lumber, and the shoving platform. 

In the second view, the box of lumber is being pulled away from the train to be spotted.

Once the box car was spotted, 2701 picked up empty lumber flats.  (more to follow)  

Date: 10/07/15 17:45
Re: Downtown Local

Once the empties were shoved out of the way, the loads were picked up to be spotted.  The 3rd view is, of course, the caboose (having a hard time typing "shoving platform").

(one more to follow!)

Date: 10/07/15 17:47

This is an over all view of the area being switched.  On the left is the caboose, the center is the empty lumber flats, and on the right, 2701 is spotting the loads.  The box car is visible in the background to the right of the empties.

Date: 10/07/15 17:56
Author: SCKP187

Good stuff. It's always fun to watch the local crews get their work done and anticipate what the next move will be, etc.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/07/15 18:13

SCKP187 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good stuff. It's always fun to watch the local
> crews get their work done and anticipate what the
> next move will be, etc.
> Brian Stevens

Several years ago, I enjoyed following a local that ran from Crete to Wymore, down one day back the next.  The only place they ALWAYS switched was the plants at Hoag, just north of Beatrice.  But they also switched a meat processing plant just south of Crete and occasional cars for the elevators at Wilbur, Dewitt, Hoag, and Beatrice.  That line is stubbed at Beatrice now.  As I understand it, the Crete switcher still goes to Hoag but other than that, the occasional unit grain train from Southeast Coop in Beatrice is the only traffic. 

Date: 10/09/15 20:18
Author: sphauler

Great post! Love the locals. Even has a caboose. What I think is the most interesting side of todays railroading.

Thanks for sharing,

sphauler

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds