Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trains, construction cranes and trucks next to BNSF's LPKC

Date: 10/07/15 18:44
Trains, construction cranes and trucks next to BNSF's LPKC
Author: JoCoLB

There was a pause in construction work on a new Waverly Road overpass this afternoon when I went to check on activity at the job site next to the BNSF Logistics Park Kansas City intermodal center in Edgerton, Kan. Work was being held up for less than an hour to allow movement of one incoming westbound train and one departing eastbounder a short time later.

I hit it lucky today as a total of six 145-foot long pre-stressed I-beam girders were in the process of being set. I stuck around after the trains disappeared to watch girder No. 4 being lifted into place. It only took a few minutes. The girders had been hauled about 35 miles by special truck rigs out of Kansas City, Kansas.

Date: 10/07/15 18:46
Re: Trains, construction cranes and trucks next to BNSF's LPKC

Here are a couple of photos of the fourth girder of the day being lifted into place.

Date: 10/07/15 18:52

Here are a couple of photos of the special rear platform for hauling the extra-long I-beams. There are 24 wheels on the rear hauler. It has a motor for the hydraulic system and is steered by remote control when the load is taken around corners. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/15 18:56 by JoCoLB.

Date: 10/07/15 18:55

Here are a couple of pictures of one of the truck tractors and its front end  load hauler.

(Photos by Larry Byers, Gardner, KS)

Date: 10/07/15 19:51
Author: upkpfan

Larry,
 Good pics. as I love these big loads. upkpfan

Date: 10/07/15 20:37

I had you in mind, Marv, when I was taking these pictures. Hope you are doing well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds