Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > PTC 5 year deadline extension in the senate

Date: 10/08/15 08:27
PTC 5 year deadline extension in the senate
Author: fbe

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/ptc/news/Senate-committee-passes-PTC-deadlineextension-bill--43944

A three year extension is working through the house.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3855599,3855606#msg-3855606

Will Obama sign it? Will he risk collapsing the economy if the railroads quit hauling passengers and hazardous New Years Eve?

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 08:29 by fbe.

Date: 10/08/15 09:14
Re: PTC 5 year deadline extension in the senate
Author: LiveWire

That Progressive Railroading story is from March.

Date: 10/08/15 09:23
Author: RS11

Haven't been following this topic all that much but found a couple of "news items" on today's BLE&T website.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article38104521.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-07/obama-won-t-support-extending-deadline-for-rail-safety-equipment

Apologies if this is old news for those who are following this.

I make no claim on the politics of the websites listed above.  I posted them because I saw them.  This is not a political statement by me.  Thanks.

Date: 10/08/15 12:41
Author: Out_Of_Service

somehow i feel (God Forbid) a major accident will occur in that 5 years whereas this decision will be at the forefront ...

Date: 10/08/15 18:00
Author: HogheadMike

Hazardous and Passengers are the least of our worry.  The railroads will embargo ALL freight on PTC mandated lines until a deadline is recieved.  Liability is the reason.  God forbid something major were to happen, the liability of it would destroy the railroad financially.  The railroads are playing hardball here.  They have openly announced that zero trains will run on new years without an extension (to prevent liability)

Date: 10/08/15 18:18
Author: Lackawanna484

HogheadMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hazardous and Passengers are the least of our
> worry.  The railroads will embargo ALL freight on
> PTC mandated lines until a deadline is recieved.
>  Liability is the reason.  God forbid something
> major were to happen, the liability of it would
> destroy the railroad financially.  The railroads
> are playing hardball here.  They have openly
> announced that zero trains will run on new years
> without an extension (to prevent liability)

That could happen.

But, I suspect the creation of the "Amtrak routing czar" mentioned on a previous thread is designed to resolve that problem.

Railroad:  We're not operating pasenger or haz-mat trains. PTC isn't ready and the liability is too great

ARCzar: We're directing you to do this, and the feds will absorb any liability on your part

(That turned out to be a huge headache with the asbestos makers, though. The feds required asbestos protection on steam lines,  on submarines, battleships, aircraft carriers, federal buildings etc even though it was known to be a hazard. When thousands of ship yard workers came down with mesothelioma, the feds exempted themselves from liability.

My guess is the railroads are already drafting legal language for directed service...)

Date: 10/08/15 18:58
Author: up833

No the Feds didnt excempt themselves from asbestos problems or other issues.  Courts found they had the wool pulled over their eyes just the same as other users.  Manufactures were found to be totally at fault for hiding the known effects for decades.
Roger B

Date: 10/09/15 05:45
Author: bnsfengineer

Obama said he would not sign the bill if passed. This is a good thing to stand firm on Obama. NOT!

Date: 10/09/15 09:10
Author: Waybiller

bnsfengineer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Obama said he would not sign the bill if passed.
> This is a good thing to stand firm on Obama. NOT!

Do you have a source for this?  Here's what I've seen his spokesman quoted as saying,
“Congress enacted this law, including the December 31, 2015, deadline, and we believe it is important that the Department of Transportation enforce the law that Congress passed,” Frank Benenati, a White House spokesman.  

And, as far as signing an extension, 

"Benenati declined to comment on whether Obama would sign legislation extending the deadline because nothing has advanced in Congress."

Having Obama come out in favor of the extension would be a surefire way for the House to reject it, in my opinion.

Date: 10/09/15 09:15
Author: Lackawanna484

There's likely a lot of expert witness discussion going on in the background. Experts for the carriers, for the unions, and the manufacturers as well as congress's staff.  Trying to get the baseline established.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0708 seconds